Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered-Over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

affliictiion

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered. Need help with this problem. In every game except counterstrike, the game will checker all over my screen with purple/multi colored checkers, then the game will freeze, turn black for about 10 seconds, then come back, and keep repeating till i get frustrated and just exit... i cannot play any games except cs withou this problem occurring many a time. Tried multiple system re formats. Tried many different/up to date display AND mainboard drivers, as well as tried playing games in and out of sli mode, with restart. Cooling is NOT an issue, plenty of fans n temps are fine. Here are my system specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor overclocked @ 3.0 ghz (fsb @ 1333) w/zalman aftermarket cooling fan
evga nforce n75oi sli ftw mainboard
4x 1 GB ocz ram dual channel
seagate 160 gb 7200 rpm hdd w/serial ata connect
2x geforce 9800 gt (pci express x16) ...can the sli bridge on top of the cards be installed backwards? jw...
microsoft windows vista home premium 32 bit with ALL updates for all hardware SP2+

Have you tried each card separately (and in the other physically removed)? I couldn't tell from your post. Also, run memtest and prime95 just to ensure the rest of the system is good. And finally, what is your power supply? Symptoms could be from lack of power.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Hi.

This error is due to Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR). It is a feature in windows vista (and 7) designed to restart a crashed video adapter without a hard reset.

Originally it was buggy, and drivers didn't get along with it very well. However, and I know a couple people do not agree with me on this one, it is more or less entirely working now a days assuming you have the latest drivers and updates in your system. Though there are cases I have seen where the issue lied in the bios of the card itself.

What this error is telling you is that the card has crashed. This is generally a hardware problem. It could be brought on by an excess of heat, a bad overclock, something wrong with the card itself, or something wrong with a part feeding the card (MB or Power). If the card is clean, you are sure nothings else in the system is broken, and the cards are not overclocked then the issue is probably with the cards or the motherboard.

This is a specific error (in a way.. it is also painfully general in that it does not tell you the exact issue) as it points directly to the GPU. It is very unlikely the problem is with a part of the system unrelated to the GPU (overclock on the memory or cpu for instance). However, SLI or crossfire adds an extra bit of issue to this as cards that work fine alone may have problems together that would trigger TDR.

You can try a lot of things for this.. you can even turn off TDR in the registry... but more often than not it is related to the cards themselves, though if the issue only crops up in sli it is possible there is something wrong with the mb... but not as likely as the cards simply not behaving.

Despite what the error message states this is notification of a hardware issue. This is not a driver problem.. though it might be a symptom of a bad driver install and wiping+reinstalling drivers is much easier than replacing hardware.

affliictiion

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
ok. yea i tried running on just one card in the slot, same problem. i didnt try the OTHER card alone tho. i have a 500watt power supply. the cards are not overclocked, just the processor is. ill snoop around some more using these suggestions. also, my memory, ocz platinum 4x 1gb sticks, 400 hz each, is showed as being half used, even at idle with nothing running, is this normal?

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
To add.. given the corruption you see the memory is probably the culprit. The corruption is probably the result of bad video ram (either overheating because the heat sink came loose or just plain broken). The card is more than likely giving out (why you see the corruption) and TDR is bringing the system back to life without the need for a hard reset or BSOD. This can happen over and over and over.. for as long as the card acts up.. even at desktop.. though it is far more likely to occur when the card is heavily taxed.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

That is normal. Windows will use a lot of ram if it is there. More often than not that chunk of ram being used is by superfetch and prefetch to speed up file access times, or is simply cached. You can reduce that if you want but there is no real point. The files will be dumped by windows if it needs the ram for more important things.

If it helps, the same TDR issue with ATI cards comes up as "atikmdag.sys has stopped responding...."

satswami

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Hi All,
I have a similar problem with my Toshiba laptop. My laptop uses a "ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series " graphics display card. Whenever I watch a video in a smaller screen, I don't see any issue. But, after sometime I make the video full screen, it stops the video playing and displays the message - "Display Driver Stopped Working and has recovered successfully". Can you please let me know if I install the latest display driver from ATI, will it help me solve the problem? Or is there any known way to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance,
Swami.S

BlokeUK

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Hi,
I am also having this problem, same os OP's but I only have a single card and windows 7.

My spec is as follows

Intel i7 860 @2.8GHz
4MB Corsair 1600 ram xms3
2XWD 500GB green SataII HD as raid 0
1XWD 640GB SataII HD
2X LG litescribe SataII DVD+-RW
Asus P55D EVO Motherboard.
Antec NEO 500W PSU
Sapphire ATI Radeon 5770 1GB GDDR5 Memory PCIE GFX
Recommended ATI Drivers
Windows 7 x64

My system is not overclocked at all but I keep getting Screen freezes, mouse locks nad bad graphic corruption, generally I do a ctrl-alt-del ctrl-C and escape to restore display but it is a pain.

My cpu tem is around 20-28C most of the time
According to Catalyst my GPU is 41C
Fan speed 35%
activity 1-5%

This happens when just browsing the web and certainly nothing strenous on the GFX card or CPU
Sapphire recommended I install the lates drivers, this did not work:(

Has anybody else found a solution or have any ideas what could be causing this?

Cheers

satswami

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Nothing fixed this problem as permanent/right solution. From search, I found one quick workaround for this. But, it may not be recommended if you are used to fascinating GUI of Windows Vista/later. If you are okay to compromise the window color and appearance rather than getting annoyed(like I used to ) when watching an interesting movie or video clip; please modify your theme to "Windows Classic" theme and you can see the problem getting resolved and watch the video without any break. Let me know if this works for you!!

My assumption for this solution: Windows' jazzy theme, color, appearance of the GUI is one of the largest consumer of CPU and memory Usage. If I am right, this switching back the theme to Classic one, reduces the memory usage to larger extent and gives space for the Video Graphics Card's CPU which is running in parallel..!!!

My OS: "Windows Vista Home"

Thanks,
Swami.S

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
just my 2 cents. both times when i started getting this "gpu has stopped but has recovered" error, within a month the cards died. happened on a 4 year old x850 and 3.5 year old x700 that came with prebuilt P4 Dell computers.

BlokeUK

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Thanks for all the replies.

I have now been running stable for over 3 hours! (touch wood)

I set my cpu settings to manual and manually set ram and turned of Turbo EVO, even thought his was set at manual anyway and all seems fine, cpu temp running hotter than before 25 - 30c with Firefox and about 80 open tabs and vcore running slightly higher, but I have for the first time experienced a snag free evening, even when running prime 95 64 bit.

I was sure it wasn't cpu or GFX since I was able to run for an entire week on the windows 7 vga drivers without a glitch.

I guess my GFX and mobo don't play nicely together when auto setting on in bios :(

Googled for some bios setting for P755D EVO but no joy

Hope this helps anyone else

G

Satswami's advice fixed my problem: Change your desktop theme to
"Windows Classic", at least before a high intensity video program or game. Works everytime for me. Thanks!

BlokeUK

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Cheers,
Disabling Asus Control Serivce has fixed my problem and also disabling the Intel Matrix driver.

I have experienced for well over a week now no freezes and one display driver recovery, but this was after coming out of hybrid power saving, which I think I fixed by turning off the option to turn of power to the PCIE-X in power savings.

I have never had it running this stable, playing games, videos and encoding video.

The only oddity I have now is that BIOS and Task manager only think I have 4087MB or installed ram instead of 4096MB, CPU-Z and Memetest 4.00 see full 4096MB of installed ram.

I also have seen posts about disabling the Gigabyte Control Service fixing this problem, I am guessing that Windows 7 control services are conflicting with this?

Oh and I also uninstalled all Turbo EVO, PCProbeII and Asus AI Suite only leaving Asus update installed, not sure if these had any bearing on the problem, as I uninstalled these before disabling ACS.

I am 99% certain ACS is the problem, as I enabled it again and suffered same problems, disabling once more and the problems vanished.

Cheers

G

Been having a similar problem - (Display driver stopped responding but has recovered) Windows 7 64 bit and Sapphire 5770. Games would crash within 20 seconds or so.
Finally solved by removing 1 memory module,leaving just one 2gb module in board. Several days no crashes. I never had any problems with XP and same components.
Is this Win 7 or Ati early drivers at fault,since i know my memory is fine.

beauchee

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
I have the same issue with my system : q6600, 6 gig of ocz gold, p45 msi neo 3, 650w bfg ps, 2x patriot torqx ssd, bfg gtx280, windows 7 64bit.
I only get this error message once in while only when browsing the web...i never had the issue while gaming : Wow, Aion, ME2...all work flawless.
Video drivers are up to date...
So how to i fix this problem ? (i'm on a fresh install of win 7...btw i never had this with vista 64)

dark41

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
I was investigating this problem for a few months while troubleshooting the system below, and researching all the proposed fixes on the internet. It seems the only solution that has worked for anyone (other than underclocking or turning options off) is replacing the video card with one that takes completely different drivers.

Thus, I don't believe that any of these responses are correct. This is a Windows (Vista & 7) problem that effects/corrupts both nVidia and ATI cards/drivers. Work-arounds don't address the cause of the problem.

I've got a customer's system with:
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
P55A-UD3R
i5 750
2X2GB Kingston 1333
Corsair VX450W
Asus GF9500GT
Antec 300
etc.

We set up the system at their home and it ran fine for 2 weeks, then started getting the "display has stopped responding and has recovered" error when they used the scroll on their mouse. I replaced their video card with 2 different brand new identical video cards... both errored. We changed to several different drivers, but none solved the issue. I replaced all hardware except the MB and CPU, but it still errored. I checked BIOS, but everything there was correct and I wasn't about to underclock anything just to solve this.

I took their components back to the shop and put them in another system with Win 7 Pro 64-bit and same drivers. It ran 24/7 for a week with no problems at all. So nothing is wrong with their hardware. I took 2 other vid cards back to their house along with their old one, the other 2 used completely different drivers (nVidia GF7900GTX and an ATI 4850). Both worked fine. Then I uninstalled all drivers, put their original 9500GT and all other components back in and loaded the most current nVidia drivers again. This time no more errors. Their system has been working fine with the original components for 3 weeks now.

So my conclusion: this is a Windows problem with drivers and hardware which can only be fixed by replacing the video card with one requiring completely different drivers. Then you can go back to the original drivers and video card without problems (for who knows how long before they become corrupted again). Something in Windows (Vista & Win 7) is corrupting drivers from both Intel and ATI.

MS needs to get off their butts and resolve this once and for all. Its been going on since Vista was introduced and although the problems seem less frequent, they're still happening.

beauchee

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
I actually manage to fix my issue has well but for some reason the format/fresh install didn`t seem enough...
I guess this is a work around but for me what did it was turning off the AREO windows effect or what ever you call it because just like dark 41 i did try the gtx 280 in another system with no issues and i did try a 8800gtx in my system with no issues... and fresh install only worked for like few days or few weeks before the problem came back...but turn off your windows areo affect (sorry i know it ain`t areo...but something like that..that makes win 7 look good or vista).

Good luck to all that have this issue !!
TY Dark41 great info

nenad

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
i have the same "stopped working but recovered" problem but both with dedicated and integrated card!!!! The difference is when onboard (new 5750) is working system sometimes crashes, and with only integrated (3300) it just pause for a momment and displays this notice.

help?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I'm really sorry if this has already been mentioned as i didn't read all posts just your original problem. It could be your memory playing up. I once had a very similar problem to yours and it turned out to be my memory going faulty and so corrupting the temporary files created while the drivers are running. Try running some memory tests (memtest) just for the sake of elimination.

Partyslammer

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
I'm dealing with a problem that's very similar to what others are describing in this thread.....

The PC is a 2008 HP 9040N desktop, running a 2.40GHz processor with 3GB of Ram. The video card is a NVIDIA PCI Bus slot GeForce 8400GS. The monitor is a HP w2408.

About a week or so ago, I started getting ever-increasing blue screen crashes to the point by 4 days ago, I was unable to even boot up my pc unless I did it in safe mode. After a *lot* of sleuthing, I narrowed the problem down to what appeared to be the NVIDEA drivers for my card, a GeForce 8400 GS that came stock with the pc. I uninstalled the drivers, downloaded the most current ones directly from nVidea's site and for about 4 hours, the problem seemed to be solved. However, I did a restart and the same problem came back, worse than ever. I went to the trouble of opening the case, pulling the card and making sure the fan and card was clean of dust and reinstalled it to no avail. The only way I can view my monitor is using the Windows default monitor settings with the NVIDEA control/drivers disabled. From what I've found on various sites, this is not an isolated problem but fairly widespread.

I'm very close to simply replacing the card with a non-NVIDEA card. However, that's my last resort. Is there a way I can figure out if there's a physical problem with the card? I've run all sorts of diagnostics on my pc and the motherboard and nothing appears to be wrong in that respect. If I need to, what's a good, solid card with a slim profile that will provide me top support for a large LCD where I watch a lot of blu-ray content and decent gaming capabilities?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

Please see my post just above yours, it might help...

Status
Not open for further replies.