[SOLVED] Display glitches on boot screen

Aug 4, 2022
Hi everyone!

I am a new member here. My son and I recently finish the build of his first gaming PC. At the nerve racking moment of the first powering up, we were stoked to see that everything was lightning up (RGB galore!) and we reached the bios boot screen. However, it seems there is a glitch on the display.

I've shot a video that really shows the issue.
View: https://youtu.be/ys40QpEmVUE

Issues is the same connected with HDMI or DP. The monitor and cables are good; we could validate it with a laptop.

I am wondering what to look next. I double check all the connections.

Motherboard: Gigabyte B660 Gaming X AX (with latest Bios installed since the video was shot. Same issue, but with version F4a)
CPU: Core i5 12400F (so no embedded GPU to test... unfortunately)
GPU: Gigabyte Eagle 12G Radeon 6700 XT

I cannot easily swap parts as the other computer in the house are mac laptop. What should I look next ?

Thanks a lot!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of the PSU in your build? Which slots are the rams populating on the board? How are you cooling that processor? You could try and clear the CMOS. Power down the system, disconnect the system from the wall and display, remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button to drain residual power and then replace after 30 minutes.

Reactions: Vaillans
Aug 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of the PSU in your build? Which slots are the rams populating on the board? How are you cooling that processor? You could try and clear the CMOS. Power down the system, disconnect the system from the wall and display, remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button to drain residual power and then replace after 30 minutes.

Thanks for the welcome!

PSU: Gigabyte UD Gold 750W

Ram is Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Slots used are: A2 and B2 (the ones marked "First" on the MB
CPU is cooled with the provided fan from intel. We've replaced the thermal paste with Artic Silver 5 one. CPU temp was around 45C.

Will test the CMOS reset.

Thanks!

Reactions: Lutfij
Aug 4, 2022
Thanks for the suggestions! I<ve already updated the BIOS to the latest version (F4a) using Q-Flash. Made no difference.

I'm not sure I know what is RMA'ing. I will google it. Thaks for that pointer.

Also, interestingly enough, I decided to try to install Win11 using a USB stick. It works fine there!!! No display issue. I assume the GPU is OK. Glitch seems to be only on the BIOS setup pages.