Question Display goes black and turns back on randomly while PC is still running.

Greyfalcon

Honorable
May 10, 2015
A couple of months ago my monitor screen suddenly went black after a few hours of gaming. Fearing there was a short in the mobo or gpu i turned everything off immediately.
I turned it back on after a while and it ran perfectly fine. A few days later again the screen went black for a few seconds and then turned back on. I still kept playing to see what happens and the frequency just increased. It started happening every couple of seconds.

And now it had started happening from the boot screen itself so it wasnt a driver problem.

Now i searched online for these type of problems and thought it might be the DVI cable which got cut somewhere and wasnt giving signal. So i ordered a new one and this time an hdmi cable just in case the dvi port of the gpu or monitor had developed a fault. I also reset the bios btw.

With the new cable It ran fine again for a few days and it started happening again.
So I changed my PSU to see if that was the problem. Again....it ran fine for a few hours and gave me the same problem which then increased in frequency and started happening even from the boot screen and I couldn't see anything for more than two seconds.

I removed my gpu and just put the monitor in the iGPU and everything started working fine. Everything ran fine. No monitor blackouts or nothing. No matter how long i ran it for.

I gave my gpu to a buddy of mine to test on his pc and it worked fine! It ran well for hours!
I brought it back and put it in my pc and the monitor started going black from the boot screen again.

So i thought it was my pcie x16 slot that was bad.
I ordered a pcie x1 riser that miners use to at least get something out of the gpu for another year. I know it would not give full performance but still i needed something.
I got it for a week now and today it happened again!

So my question is, can anyone tell me what the heck the problem is? Which component do i need to even replace? Mobo? Gpu? Monitor? I have no clue!

P.S. - Sorry for the long essay. Just wanted to be clear on all the things that i tried

Greyfalcon

Honorable
May 10, 2015
Did you purchase a cheap HDMI cable? I've had the same problem happen and purchasing a higher quality cable solved it. Did you use the same cable in your buddy's computer?
I bought the Amazon basics one because i couldn't find any other one with good reviews. Im in India.
My friend used his own cable.
And i dont think its the cable coz i used my dvi cable with the iGPU and it ran fine. It happens only with the dedicated gpu.

I bought the Amazon basics one because i couldn't find any other one with good reviews. Im in India.
My friend used his own cable.
And i dont think its the cable coz i used my dvi cable with the iGPU and it ran fine. It happens only with the dedicated gpu.
The iGPU isn't going to replicate your issue because the performance difference is significant. This isn't a valid troubleshooting step. Borrow your friend's cable.

Greyfalcon

Honorable
May 10, 2015
The iGPU isn't going to replicate your issue because the performance difference is significant. This isn't a valid troubleshooting step. Borrow your friend's cable.
So you're saying that the problem might be only occuring when there is large amount of data being transferred through the cable which only happens when i run a graphics intensive game on my gpu?
When i took my gpu out i started playing AOE 1 on my igpu. Today on my gpu i was playing the same game and it happened again. I dont think the gpu fans were spinning at the time coz the game needs almost nothing from the gpu.
Btw my gpu us gtx 960.