Question Display Hertz and FPS

Jun 1, 2022
Hi! I don't know if this has been a thread yet but im gonna post it anyway.

So im playing games on my ASUS TUF 280 Hz monitor while having around 140 fps in those games. And it feels alot smoother when it's 280 hertz on 140 fps than 144 hertz on 140 fps.
Can someone explain why this is? Also I have no V-Sync, G-Sync nothing. Is it just me noticing it or.. Friends are telling me ppl shouldn't buy higher refresh rate monitors cause if the fps is stuck at 140 then why need a 280hertz they say.

This is both my other 144hz monitor and the same one im setting down, in general it's smoother on higher refresh rate even with lower fps
Ok, then no idea. I can understand it being better than a different 144Hz monitor. Generally the higher Hz monitor will have better pixel response giving a clearer moving image even at the same fps. But when doing this on the same monitor I cannot explain it.

Jun 1, 2022
Ok, then no idea. I can understand it being better than a different 144Hz monitor. Generally the higher Hz monitor will have better pixel response giving a clearer moving image even at the same fps. But when doing this on the same monitor I cannot explain it.

Yeah it seems very weird but Im just looking for an explanation on how it works cause I have no idea, but If it's the same monitor then it's obvious that it's smoother due to the pixels?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, one would assume the average response time of a 280hz monitor is better than a 144hz monitor. Not to mention that with a higher refresh rate you may be seeing the same image twice, instead of once, so it would persist in your vision much better. Without synching of any kind, that means that tears are going to be split up more often than at a lower frequency. So a partial frame will be shown, but the monitor will pick up the next cycle at a different point. (Kind of hard to explain, but I am talking about a screen tear not being in the same place because the monitor will pick it up from the frame buffer faster than the frame can be generated)

Jun 1, 2022
Well, one would assume the average response time of a 280hz monitor is better than a 144hz monitor. Not to mention that with a higher refresh rate you may be seeing the same image twice, instead of once, so it would persist in your vision much better. Without synching of any kind, that means that tears are going to be split up more often than at a lower frequency. So a partial frame will be shown, but the monitor will pick up the next cycle at a different point. (Kind of hard to explain, but I am talking about a screen tear not being in the same place because the monitor will pick it up from the frame buffer faster than the frame can be generated)

Ah, I seem to understand now! Thank you for the answers!:)