Display issue, black fields/pixels stretching

Zvonkoo

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
I just bought a new PC that has i3-8100, Zotac Mini GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB HDD and Kingston 120GB SSD.

Also i have bought AOC 24B1H 24" 1080p MVA monitor. I had all Windows 10 updates installed and all drivers installed and i went on and fired up some games and then in black fields, black color does something like stretching, pixels look sharp and, i don't really know how to describe it. (i have attached video and photo). After that i switched to my other monitor AOC Q3279VWF 31.5" 1440p monitor and everything looked good, it looks like its a monitor issue. So i need help if someone can tell me how is this exactly called, why does it occur and what do i do?

Photos and videos: https://imgur.com/gallery/mP9erKc

VA panels are more susceptible to smearing (pixels being slow to change from one color state to another). It's one of the reasons why I caution people not to equate response time between brands, and especially between monitor types (e.g. IPS vs VA). Everyone seems to have a different way of measuring response time - there is no standard.

The transition types are not all proportional, either. A monitor may have great response time from black to white , but poor response time from dark grey to light grey. I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but the full black-to-white transition may kick in an "overdrive" feature which supplies excessive voltage to get the pixels to transition more quickly (since it's impossible to overshoot going to full-white), while the more subtle grey-to-grey transition may not trigger this feature. Most manufacturers will of course pick the best-case scenario when reporting response time in the specs.

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/lcd-panel-types-explored/

Basically, if you're going to use a monitor for performance gaming, you really have to do your homework before picking one. Ideally, you'll go to a store and get to see it in person while displaying a game or motion video.

Zvonkoo

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014

Well, thanks. But this AOC 23.6" monitor has the same type of panel (MVA) as my AOC 31.5" that i currently use, and same resposne time 5ms, but my 31.5 has Freesync. does that help?