[SOLVED] Display Issue? Upstar TV (used as a Monitor for PC) is having issues....

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Hello,

So, I am using a 32-inch Upstar TV for a computer monitor. It has been connected to my tower via an HDMI cable for years now. Recently, the screen will go blue and it says that the device is not detected. I also sometimes get a black screen. I replaced the HDMI cable with a new one hoping that the issue was the cable, but the problem persists even after the new HDMI cable.

I can't figure out if this is the Blue/Black Screen of Death, or, if it is an issue with the HDMI port on the tower side. The reason for thinking this is that I can use a VGA cable without any issues (but the clarity is not as good as the TV). This issue seems to be infrequent with the HDMI as I am now back on my computer using the HDMI cable instead of VGA.

I only use the one TV for a monitor, so I don't think this is an alternate view between two screens. Although, under my display settings under Advanced Settings, it shows Display 1 and Display 2, which both appear to be my TV monitor and the stats and details are exactly the same.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Solution
try a different device(cable box, game console, 2nd pc, etc) with the TV's HDMI port and see if the issue continues.
if so, than it's just a cheap TV that has malfunctioned.

if not, try a different display on your PC and see if you notice the same problem with the second screen.
if the issue persists with a different display, than it's your graphics output from the PC causing it.
try a different device(cable box, game console, 2nd pc, etc) with the TV's HDMI port and see if the issue continues.

if not, try a different display on your PC and see if you notice the same problem with the second screen.
if the issue persists with a different display, than it's your graphics output from the PC causing it.

Solution

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013

Hello, thanks for responding. Yes, as I continue to investigate, it seems the issue is the HDMI port on the PC, not the cable, not the TV itself or the HDMI port on the TV. I will update you if I suspect anything else. That said, how easy is it to replace a faulty HDMI port on a Lenovo Desktop PC?

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
you may be able to add a cheap dedicated GPU with available HDMI ports.

replacing a rear I\O port on the motherboard itself would be a much bigger hassle.

I see, so I replace the graphics card and buy one with a couple of HDMI ports. I am assuming that my current HDMI port is running off the motherboard? Not sure if a dual-port GPU would have holes in the rear part of the tower as I currently only have one HDMI port.

I am assuming that my current HDMI port is running off the motherboard?
a dedicated GPU is a separate device that is connected to the motherboard via PCIe.
it's video out ports are located on the card.

an integrated GPU would be built-in to your CPU.
it's video out ports are located on the motherboard's rear I\O panel.

examples:

aAu9rgB.jpg

Ng3gE8p.jpg

TRENDING THREADS