Display on Windows start up screen jumps up and down on TV plugged into gaming PC?

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
It's an old standard television with only 720p and I plugged it into my computer off a Zotac GTX 1060 3gb and I have an i5 4460, 12gb ddr3 ram, and an ssd. If you need any more info let me know. I have always had problems with this computer where when I turn it on after a while sometimes it says error press F1 to go into menu or press F2 to restart. I usually just press F2 and it starts up normally. I think it might be a bad HDMI cable because how the case is designed (Fractal Design Focus G Mini) the top part of the case where the PCIE brackets are is pressing down really close onto the HDMI cable and there is not a lot of room to plug it in so the cable is flush with the case and is slightly bent due to a faulty design by Fractal. I wish they made normal PCIE brackets but instead the graphics cards area protrudes inwards into the case if that makes sense and thus makes the top cables like HDMI and display cables bend slightly. There is a DVI port I can use but I don't have a DVI cable right now and can't afford any new parts at the minute. Do you think it was a random glitch? I had an issue before where I thought my monitor was dying and then it actually died but now I am wondering if it was due to the HDMI cable or the graphics card which is brand new. I will get a DVI cable as soon as possible and if that doesn't work I will try to get a new graphics card from Zotac or Ebuyer hopefully. Any thoughts? Basically the glitch was that the display on the screen that showed the log in menu to Windows 10 would jump up and down. I have never seen this before on any of my computers. I don't know if it is a hard drive failure though Windows is installed on my SSD so I don't think that should be a problem but I am also using a 1TB WD Blue HDD. Could it be a power supply failure or a bad ram stick? I don't know. I can't afford new PC parts right now so I hope there is a way to trouble shoot this somehow. Many thanks in advance.

P.S. I should mention that I used this computer for a few hours last night on the same TV with the same cables and had no issues. I played Assassin's Creed: Origins, Far Cry 5 and Dragon Age: Inquisition just fine and had no problems whatsoever. Any thoughts? I have used this PC for a few months and had no issues.

Solution
The television could be faulty as well.

Please take some pictures of your case´s in- and outside.

Which motherboard is it? Please post the BIOS version as well.

which power supply is it?

be sure the motherboard is installed correctly inside the case, with spacers in the correct places, which are usually marked in the manual of the motherboard

GPU is installed tightly in the PCIe slot and fixated by screws?

Which power supply brand and model is it?
The television could be faulty as well.

Please take some pictures of your case´s in- and outside.

Which motherboard is it? Please post the BIOS version as well.

which power supply is it?

be sure the motherboard is installed correctly inside the case, with spacers in the correct places, which are usually marked in the manual of the motherboard

GPU is installed tightly in the PCIe slot and fixated by screws?

Which power supply brand and model is it?

Solution

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

I believe it is an issue with either the HDMI cable or the TV because it is a very old outdated television and we've always had issues with the DVD player not working constantly Might be time to upgrade the TV soon. I tried my PC on a relative's TV and it works fine, used it for a few hours no problems. I do believe it is a faulty TV or something is wrong with the connections sadly. I think the TV was very old anyway. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.