Question Display Port cable damaged my motherboard?

Kpeterscr

Honorable
May 5, 2017
I recently purchased an Xtech display port cable and have been using it for almost a week. A few hours ago I turned on my pc and was greeted by a weird sound and it didn't power up only the fans were turning and some leds on the GFX card.

While troubleshooting I disconnected the power supply COMPLETELY and to my surprise the fans kept going and going for minutes they actually only stopped once I disconnected the DP Cable which was wedged in and was super difficult to remove had to use pliers!

So I took out the GFX card inspect it and it looks fine no burn marks or anything. Turn on my PC and was first greeted by Overclock Failed! message. Continued into Windows only to find out it's detecting only 8GB of my 16GB.

So far I have tried:

-Re seating the ram
-MemOK button
-Reset bios to defaults
-Clear CMOS
-Changed the Memory Sticks around to ensure they all worked
-Tested the sticks on different channels

Windows and Bios shows only 8gigs of ram. CPU-Z though shows 16GB which I find it strange. Any ideas on what I can do or is my Ram/Mobo toast?

I feel like never using display port again.

Specs

Asus P8P67M-Pro on latest Bios
Intel i5 2500k
16DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
Asus Strix 2080S

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Pressing button while pulling up and backwards usually releases DP but possibly locking mechanism did get stuck. For system still receiving power via DP could be the result of the 20th pin. I think you got a dodgy cable, not too sure of the damage that can be done by the result of a bad cable, could be coincidence regarding your ram.

Some Vesa certified brands to list, Cable Matters, Club3D and Accell if you buy another DP cable.

Kpeterscr

Honorable
May 5, 2017
Guys any idea of the odds of going back to 16ram if using 2x 8gig ram sticks instead of the 4 sticks I have now?

I can use 2 sticks on either channel and it recognized it well so I think it could work. What do you guys reckon?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I used to run Asus p8p67 Delux board with 2600k at 4.5 with 4x 8GB 1600MHz Gskill Snipers CL 9 for many years, 11 or so before i retired it. So yeah, 8GB dimms no problem if you can find them.

Kpeterscr

Honorable
May 5, 2017
I used to run Asus p8p67 Delux board with 2600k at 4.5 with 4x 8GB 1600MHz Gskill Snipers CL 9 for many years, 11 or so before i retired it. So yeah, 8GB dimms no problem if you can find them.
Guess my worry is if the memory controller can't see more than 8GB due to damage and not due to design. And yeah this setup has been a beast! I love it.

Kpeterscr

Honorable
May 5, 2017
Don't think so, if MC was shot you'd have worse problems.
If all memory modules work on all slots meaning memory sticks and slots themselves are fine, and MC is unlikely what would you think is the cause for it not using the full 16GB from the 4 sticks?

Kpeterscr

Honorable
May 5, 2017
This is "Solved" what I did to get around it is I updated the BIOS so I had support for 8GB dimms and purchased two. They only recognize the 16GB ram if I use them on dual channel which is ok but something fishy is going on.

Also lost the ability to use the multiplier to overclock which sucks... had to overclock again with BLCK and couldn't get to my previous speed. But the old PC lives. Thanks everyone for chiming in.