Display problem with new build

wghatha

Honorable
May 16, 2012
I've been having a issue with my new build i just put together and have been battling it all night now with no real fix yet. I'm constantly seeing squares pop up all over the place when i move my mouse around my screen. I can't play games due to them freezing non-stop. I'm certain its a video card issue but I've uninstalled all the drivers and re installed them like 5 times now. Nothing really seems to work. I was also getting a black screen from time to time but that has finally seemed to stop. My build is
i5 4690
8gb g.skill
asus z97-a
gigabyte 970gtx g1 gaming
evga supernova 650w
windows 8.1
Like I said i'm kinda stumped as to what the problem could be. I also noticed that i have no way of changing any of my settings on the video card as far as clocking and fan speeds. Everything is brand new as well with no overclocking. Thanks for any help

plaintuts

Admirable
First is to check the power connection from the psu to the Gpu,

Update the OS
Download the drivers from the gpu manufacturers website

Check the gpu temps with msi afterburner during idle or/and if possible during load

wghatha

Honorable
May 16, 2012
Sadly I can't get the Temps because I'm getting a video tdr failure screen now. The power is connected right and the os is updated. Same with the drivers for the gpu

wghatha

Honorable
May 16, 2012
Quick update. Was able to use afterburner and my Temps seem fine one thing though is when the screen goes Black my values in voltage drop from 1218 to 1037mv. And my gpu clock goes down to only 540mhz and stays there. The only thing I can adjust is the fan speed of the gpu

SmileyB124

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014
I had a similar problem with my MSI GTX 960 100ME. I overclocked it to 1516MHz then put it back to stock, and it only showed 539 or 540MHz. Even playing Battlefield 4 on ultra! Even when I opened up the MSI gaming app and switched between silent, gaming, and OC modes it still showed 540MHz. I restarted my computer and it was back to normal, though! Hope it helps. **WHEN IN DOUBT, RESTART**