Question Display randomly loses signal ?

Apr 22, 2022
Hi all,

I am running into this problem where occasionally I will be using my computer and suddenly my screen goes black and loses signal. It seems that other things are stopping along with losing signal because I have been watching videos and the sound would stop coming through, but I cannot be completely sure as the screen is black. Another thing is that the GPU fans stop spinning, but that might be windows related as I have a gigabyte motherboard and I have to use Precision X1 to control GPU fans.

The motherboard is still on as the lights are still shining, and I think radiator fans are still spinning. Nothing is showing in Event Viewer as critical or error, only a ton of warnings about PCIE Root Port, which apparently does not affect anything. Everything else is up to date, I just did a fresh install of Nvidia drivers and Windows is all up to date, bios and chipset drivers etc are all as fresh as possible, so I do not know what could be causing this.

Here are my specs:
CPU: 12600K
GPU: EVGA 3080 FTW 3
Mobo: gigabyte aorus ultra z690i ddr4
Cooler: EVGA CLC 280
RAM: G skill trident z 3200 MHz cl 16
Storage: 1tb WD black sn 850 (drive with windows on, I have another 2 tb ssd)
Case: SSUPD meshlicious
PSU: Corsair RMx 750W Gold

Lutfij

Titan
First I'd try and see if you've got any updates pending on your OS. Then see if your motherboard has any BIOS update pending update. It'd help us if we knew the BIOS version at the moment of writing. Does the issue happen when at low loads/idle? When you state fresh install, did you manually install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

By any chance, is the PSU recycled from an older build? If so, how old is the unit? As for your SSD's, have you checked to see if they're pending any firmware updates?

Ralston18

Titan
First: have you tried other known working video cables to determine if the screen going black stops happening? Loose or bad cable/connector perhaps?

This:

"only a ton of warnings about PCIE Root Port "

The warnings are telling you that there is something astray. All may be well, or appear well, but nothing happens unless some other factor is added.

My thought is that some relevant files are either buggy or corrupted.

Also look in Reliability History: Reliability History presents a time line format that may reveal when those PCIE Root Port warnings began.

Perhaps with some update or a new driver installed. Check Update History (View Update History) for problem updates.

Try running the the built in Windows Troubleshooters. The Troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Likewise try "sfc /scannow" and "dism"

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Either one or both may find and fix Windows related problems.

Apr 22, 2022
First I'd try and see if you've got any updates pending on your OS. Then see if your motherboard has any BIOS update pending update. It'd help us if we knew the BIOS version at the moment of writing. Does the issue happen when at low loads/idle? When you state fresh install, did you manually install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

By any chance, is the PSU recycled from an older build? If so, how old is the unit? As for your SSD's, have you checked to see if they're pending any firmware updates?
Windows is all up to date, bios version is F8c, idle temps are just fine. And yes I ran all driver installers as admin. My psu is not recycled and is from 2018, and no firmware updates.

Apr 22, 2022
First: have you tried other known working video cables to determine if the screen going black stops happening? Loose or bad cable/connector perhaps?

This:

"only a ton of warnings about PCIE Root Port "

The warnings are telling you that there is something astray. All may be well, or appear well, but nothing happens unless some other factor is added.

My thought is that some relevant files are either buggy or corrupted.

Also look in Reliability History: Reliability History presents a time line format that may reveal when those PCIE Root Port warnings began.

Perhaps with some update or a new driver installed. Check Update History (View Update History) for problem updates.

Try running the the built in Windows Troubleshooters. The Troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Likewise try "sfc /scannow" and "dism"

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Either one or both may find and fix Windows related problems.
I have ran SFC scannow and it says windows resource protection didn't find anything. In reliability history, when the screen goes black, the message is hardware error. I'm also considering the possibility that my psu is not giving enough power to the GPU? I have no overclocked the GPU tho, and power is at the default 100%. Update history looks clean too, so maybe the psu is the problem.

Ralston18

Titan
Reference your response to @Lutfij 's question about the PSU.

This:

"My psu is not recycled and is from 2018". 3 + years old at least.

PSU is certainly suspect especially if there is a history of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even mining.

Do you have access to another known working PSU that you can swap int? (Remember: do not mix and match in cables from other PSUs.)

And if you have a multi-meter and know how to use it ( or know someone who does) then you can do some limited testing on the PSU.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of tolerance are an indication that the PSU may starting to falter and fail.

Apr 22, 2022
Reference your response to @Lutfij 's question about the PSU.

This:

"My psu is not recycled and is from 2018". 3 + years old at least.

PSU is certainly suspect especially if there is a history of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even mining.

Do you have access to another known working PSU that you can swap int? (Remember: do not mix and match in cables from other PSUs.)

And if you have a multi-meter and know how to use it ( or know someone who does) then you can do some limited testing on the PSU.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of tolerance are an indication that the PSU may starting to falter and fail.
It was used for 5 days by my brother in 2018z before he ended up finding a 850w psu and left this for me. As for me now, I don't have another psu I can test, but I can try a multimeter. In any case, the reliability history says hardware error, but I'm not sure exactly what that is pointing to. When my display does lose signal, my GPU fans stop spinning except for 1, and motherboard lights r still on and radiator fans r still spinning.

Apr 22, 2022
The GPU was used by my brother for 5 days before he got a 850w psu, and left this one for me. I don't have a multimeter so I can't test the psu, but one thing I observed was that sometimes I would start the PC up and nothing would display if my display port cable is plugged into the GPU. I do not have a fix for it, but I would just shut off my PC and restart it a couple of times, and sometimes it works. When that does happen, all 3 GPU fans start spinning when I click the button, but then two of them slowly stop and only one fan is still going. Then, there would just be no signal no matter how long I wait, and because only 1 fan is going, it gets very hot in the case. Not sure if it is related to this but it is also quite annoying.