Question Display resolution stuck on 800×600 when connected to the graphics card

Mar 23, 2020
Whenever I boot pc with the monitor connected to the graphics card (gtx 760) via HDMI, it goes into bootloop after the windows logo. On a fresh windows installation it boots up but the resolution is stuck at 800×600 and after a restart again the bootloop.
If I try and boot into the safe mode the resolution is stuck on 800×600.
Whenever I try to install the Nvidia graphics drivers in the normal mode it suddenly displays no signal while installing the graphic drivers.
In the device manager it shows the name of the graphics card instead of microsoft display drivers.
Is this a case of a bad graphics card or something else ?
Also tried the card on a different pc, same problem (used 2 different psu's one at 360 watts another at 420)

Any graphics card will have a default low res mode that runs without any drivers at all.
That lets you get into the bios.
To get the full resolution you need to install the proper nvidia driver.

If you are having trouble, boot in safe mode(f8) which runs windows with a minimum of drivers.
You should be able to install the proper nvidia driver.
Check that you are using desktop drivers not mobile drivers and that the download is appropriate for your version of windows.

Mar 23, 2020
Any graphics card will have a default low res mode that runs without any drivers at all.

If you are having trouble, boot in safe mode(f8) which runs windows with a minimum of drivers.
Check that you are using desktop drivers not mobile drivers and that the download is appropriate for your version of windows.

The drivers are the latest version for the card and appropriate according to the windows and have worked everytime. I tried installing them in safe mode they installed correctly but did not show the geforce icon anywhere nor the nvidia properties. Upon reebot in normal mode, again the bootloop

Mar 23, 2020
can you please list all system specs. also what GPU are you using and where did you get it?
It's an old system
Specs:
Core i5 4570
8gb ddr3
Asus nvidia geforce 760 2gb ddr5 256 bit
Windows 10 64bit
I got the card from a local tech dealer, was a slightly used card but in very good condition

I tried installing them in safe mode they installed correctly but did not show the geforce icon anywhere nor the nvidia properties. Upon reebot in normal mode, again the bootloop

While I'm not sure with regards to the boot loop, I have a suggestion which could maybe explain your problem with the missing Nvidia Control Panel and tray icon

Until recently, you only needed the Nvidia driver and everything was included. But recently it has changed when you have a completely fresh install of Windows 10.

lf it is a completely fresh install of Win 10, you need the driver from Nvidia's driver download page as usual, like you have already done, but the control panel for Nvidia now needs to be installed from Microsoft Store, or what it is called, the first time you install the new driver.

After the very first driver install from Nvidia, and the control panel from MS Store, you don't need to download the controlpanel seperately again, not even if using DDU to uninstall later on, it is only the first time

I'm not thinking of the Win 10 embeded Nvidia driver

At least that what's I have encountered with two recent clean installs of Win 10

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020
While I'm not sure with regards to the boot loop, I have a suggestion which could maybe explain your problem with the missing Nvidia Control Panel and tray icon

Until recently, you only needed the Nvidia driver and everything was included. But recently it has changed when you have a completely fresh install of Windows 10.

lf it is a completely fresh install of Win 10, you need the driver from Nvidia's driver download page as usual, like you have already done, but the control panel for Nvidia now needs to be installed from Microsoft Store, or what it is called, the first time you install the new driver.

After the very first driver install from Nvidia, and the control panel from MS Store, you don't need to download the controlpanel seperately again, not even if using DDU to uninstall later on, it is only the first time

I'm not thinking of the Win 10 embeded Nvidia driver

At least that what's I have encountered with two recent clean installs of Win 10
I have the latest graphics driver in my hard drive and have already done fresh installs several times. It had always worked (geforce experience shortcut and control panel were visible) until this time.
Also I changed my psu but I doubt that the problem I mentioned earlier has to do with any of this.

I have the latest graphics driver in my hard drive and have already done fresh installs several times. It had always worked (geforce experience shortcut and control panel were visible) until this time.
Also I changed my psu but I doubt that the problem I mentioned earlier has to do with any of this.

Like I mentioned, I didn't try to solve your boot loop issues. I tried to offer a solution in case you had actually succeded with a working install of Windows but couldn't locate to Nvidia Control Panel software, as you mention. I thought it would be a shame if you were on the right track, but was thrown off by this change in the very first Nvidia driver installation process.

I'll keep my fingers crossed you find a solution asap, sorry for disturbing

Mar 23, 2020
Like I mentioned, I didn't try to solve your boot loop issues. I tried to offer a solution in case you had actually succeded with a working install of Windows but couldn't locate to Nvidia Control Panel software, as you mention. I thought it would be a shame if you were on the right track, but was thrown off by this change in the very first Nvidia driver installation process.

I'll keep my fingers crossed you find a solution asap, sorry for disturbing
Oh no appreciate any help, so thanks for your time...

Mar 26, 2020
Hey man I've got the same card (GTX 760) and the exact same problem. Stuck in a bootloop, reinstalling the drivers just gives me no signal output, stuck at 800x600 resolution...