[SOLVED] Display seems to only work when it wants to.

Feb 16, 2020
Hello everyone, sorry if this has been asked before, I attempted to find an answer already but with no success.

Components:
CPU: i7-9700k
Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 Auros Pro WiFi
RAM: 32GB Corsair RGB Pro
GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB
PSU: Corsair CX750M

I just put together a new PC for myself and I’m having some issues with it sending a display signal to the monitor.

When I turn it on, everything lights up accordingly and all the fans spin. All of my peripherals included. The first three start ups resulted in no display but on my fourth try, after moving the HDMI to the IGPU on the Mobo, I was greeted with my bios and was able to install Windows 10 and some other things (Chrome, Discord, etc.) After installing those, I did a restart to see if I’d get a black screen but everything worked perfectly. That was before I remembered I was using the integrated graphics and so I plugged the HDMI back into the gpu.

This was the last time I’d see my beautiful stock Windows desktop background because it went right to black screen. After I shut the computer down and plugged it back into the IGPU, I wasn’t able to get a display. My monitor doesn’t even come out of standby mode to show the Auros logo or BIOS options. I’ve essentially got myself a shiny brick.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Solution
It appears your system is confused about what device to use for video output. I suggest you try this sequence.
  1. Shut down, disconnect power, and open the case. Remove the video card. Connect the cable to your monitor to the HDMI output connector of your mobo back panel. Close up and power on. This should force the system to recognize that it has only one video option - the mobo intergrated graphics system - and you should be able to see a display. Make sure your monitor's menus are set to accept input from the correct input socket.
  2. If that works, you can re-boot into BIOS Setup and change some details there. Look for two things regarding video output. One is to tell it that it should NOT use the integrated graphics of the mobo...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
It appears your system is confused about what device to use for video output. I suggest you try this sequence.
  1. Shut down, disconnect power, and open the case. Remove the video card. Connect the cable to your monitor to the HDMI output connector of your mobo back panel. Close up and power on. This should force the system to recognize that it has only one video option - the mobo intergrated graphics system - and you should be able to see a display. Make sure your monitor's menus are set to accept input from the correct input socket.
  2. If that works, you can re-boot into BIOS Setup and change some details there. Look for two things regarding video output. One is to tell it that it should NOT use the integrated graphics of the mobo, but use the added video card. Then you may also have to tell it which PCIe slot that card is plugged into. When you've made changes, remember to SAVE and EXIT, which will re-boot your machine. SHUT IT DOWN right away - you do not want it to try to boot with these new settings before re-installing your video card.
  3. Disconnect power and open the case. Re-install your video card in the chosen PCIe slot, and connect the cable to your monitor to the vid card's HDMI output. Close up, apply power, and boot. The system should detect the video card and may try to install a simplistic driver for it included with Windows. See the manual that came with your video card for how to install the correct drivers for that card, and do that. You'll probably have to reboot somewhere in there to get those advanced drivers into use.

Reactions: grapenuts_are_good
Solution
Feb 16, 2020
  2. If that works, you can re-boot into BIOS Setup and change some details there. Look for two things regarding video output. One is to tell it that it should NOT use the integrated graphics of the mobo, but use the added video card. Then you may also have to tell it which PCIe slot that card is plugged into. When you've made changes, remember to SAVE and EXIT, which will re-boot your machine. SHUT IT DOWN right away - you do not want it to try to boot with these new settings before re-installing your video card.
  3. Disconnect power and open the case. Re-install your video card in the chosen PCIe slot, and connect the cable to your monitor to the vid card's HDMI output. Close up, apply power, and boot. The system should detect the video card and may try to install a simplistic driver for it included with Windows. See the manual that came with your video card for how to install the correct drivers for that card, and do that. You'll probably have to reboot somewhere in there to get those advanced drivers into use.
Sorry for the delayed response, I work long shifts. But when I got home this morning and fired it up, it just worked! I really was scratching my head, it has had no issues since this morning. I appreciate your response and I’m going to hold on to the advice in case something does start going wrong. Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS