[SOLVED] DisplayPort on Motherboard not working

inspiired

Prominent
Oct 13, 2020
Hi,
I have two displays connected to my PC via DisplayPort and recently I started having an issue with one of my monitors randomly losing signal. Unplugging the power cord and re-plugging it was a temporary fix, but after a bunch of troubleshooting I figured out that when plugged into my motherboard, this monitor wasn't being detected by the Nvidia Control Panel.
Plugging the monitor straight into my GPU fixes the issue, but my DisplayPort on the I/O panel still doesn't work. I have iGPU enabled in BIOS, and my graphics drivers are up to date. Is there a way to get this motherboard DiplayPort working?

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core
GPU: NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2080 Ti
Driver Version: 496.13 (Latest)
BIOS Version: 1502

Solution
IS there a reason you don't want to use the secondary displayport port on the graphics card? If that port isn't being used for gaming, it's not going to affect your gaming performance in any appreciable way. In fact, it might even use fewer resources than having both the graphics card and iGPU both enabled. If the port has stopped working, then no, there is likely not a way to fix it other than having the board replaced.

It's very unlikely to be an internal CPU problem, and since it works fine plugged into the graphics card, it's unlikely to be a cable problem either. That pretty much just leaves an issue with the board itself and to me it definitely sounds like a hardware issue, not a driver or Windows issue.

I'd recommend that you...
IS there a reason you don't want to use the secondary displayport port on the graphics card? If that port isn't being used for gaming, it's not going to affect your gaming performance in any appreciable way. In fact, it might even use fewer resources than having both the graphics card and iGPU both enabled. If the port has stopped working, then no, there is likely not a way to fix it other than having the board replaced.

It's very unlikely to be an internal CPU problem, and since it works fine plugged into the graphics card, it's unlikely to be a cable problem either. That pretty much just leaves an issue with the board itself and to me it definitely sounds like a hardware issue, not a driver or Windows issue.

I'd recommend that you either use one of the secondary outputs on the graphics card or contact ASUS about an RMA of the motherboard since that board should still be covered under it's 3 year warranty so long as you have the original purchase information somewhere.

Reactions: Emissarii
Solution

inspiired

Prominent
Oct 13, 2020
IS there a reason you don't want to use the secondary displayport port on the graphics card?
I'm planning to buy an additional 3rd monitor in the future... on top of that, I use VR which uses DisplayPort.
Also, to clarify, the DisplayPort on the motherboard works, but when a monitor is connected via that port, the NVIDIA Control Panel doesn't detect it as a device.