Question Displays go black, RGB on fans die but fans stay running, have to flip power supply switch - after new 7800xt install

yungcri

Reputable
Jan 3, 2021
I just installed a 7800xt upgrading from a 2070 along with 16gb more of RAM (same model of sticks, seated properly). I used DDU in safe mode, my power supply is a Thermaltake 850w Grandpower or whatever it's called, and I'm using two PCIE cables, not a single daisy chained one.

Despite this, my computer is crashing to a black screen when I play a demanding game such as Escape from Tarkov. It will sometimes go hours without a crash, or I just had an experience where it crashed three times in 10 minutes. All in the same spot in the game. Must be a demanding spot to render.

Every time it crashes, my displays go black, my fans RGB in the tower turns off, but the fans stay on along with RAM RGB. The computer will not turn off via power button, and will only turn off via power supply switch.

In addition to this, once the computer crashes my CPU debug light turns on. I don't believe this a CPU issue, I've had my 5800x for 2 or 3 years now with zero issues. This is an issue only after I swapped my 2070 to a 7800xt.

I know that I installed everything correctly, this is not my first build, and I've undervolted the GPU using AMD's software.

Not sure what to do to try and remedy anymore. Please help!

yungcri

Reputable
Jan 3, 2021
Remove the additional RAM. Install matching pair into slots a2-b2. See if the crashing stops.
I can try this tomorrow, I really don't think that RAM is the issue, but interestingly I just tried to do a stress test using FurMark to get the PC to crash - it didn't, but take a look at this GPU-Z graph while it was occuring.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/AfWCFne" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/AfWCFne"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
View: https://imgur.com/a/AfWCFne

Literally every metric dropped to near zero every 7 seconds. What could be causing this? Surely this isn't normal behaviour. I'm convinced it's a power delivery issue, but I don't know if it's a PSU issue or GPU issue.

I've found a Reddit thread from another person that seems to describe my problem to a tee. https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/s/WZnVApUVJ9.

I forgot to mention some additional info for you: my PSU is 6 years old, probably nearing the end of its life. My Motherboard is a B450 Tomahawk Max that was bought new about 3 or 4 years ago.

I can try this tomorrow, I really don't think that RAM is the issue, but interestingly I just tried to do a stress test using FurMark to get the PC to crash - it didn't, but take a look at this GPU-Z graph while it was occuring.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/AfWCFne" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/AfWCFne"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
View: https://imgur.com/a/AfWCFne

Literally every metric dropped to near zero every 7 seconds. What could be causing this? Surely this isn't normal behaviour. I'm convinced it's a power delivery issue, but I don't know if it's a PSU issue or GPU issue.

I've found a Reddit thread from another person that seems to describe my problem to a tee. https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/s/WZnVApUVJ9.

I forgot to mention some additional info for you: my PSU is 6 years old, probably nearing the end of its life. My Motherboard is a B450 Tomahawk Max that was bought new about 3 or 4 years ago.
Definitely replace that PSU.

yungcri

Reputable
Jan 3, 2021
@drivinfast247
Yes, I've removed new RAM and I have not reused old power cables, and this problem with the drop of GPU load is now happening in games (test practice raid on Escape from Tarkov)
View: https://imgur.com/a/0Ra8b2h

See the part where the load is high then drops every so often.

Edit I just tested if it happens in R6S, and it does as well. Going to DDU and redo drivers. If that doesn't work, I will reinstall old RTX 2070 to see if its a GPU issue.

Last edited:
@drivinfast247
Yes, I've removed new RAM and I have not reused old power cables, and this problem with the drop of GPU load is now happening in games (test practice raid on Escape from Tarkov)
View: https://imgur.com/a/0Ra8b2h

See the part where the load is high then drops every so often.

Edit I just tested if it happens in R6S, and it does as well. Going to DDU and redo drivers. If that doesn't work, I will reinstall old RTX 2070 to see if its a GPU issue.

So it's no longer crashing?

yungcri

Reputable
Jan 3, 2021
So it's no longer crashing?
I haven't been able to crash it today, but I have not been to the same spot in the game that seems to crash it. If you know Escape from Tarkov, it's difficult to get to the same spot. But the GPU load, and frames, and voltage, board power draw - everything - drops every few seconds dramatically. This only began to happen after trying to run FurMark.

I also just DDU in safe mode and threw in my RTX 2070, it's not having this stuttering problem the 7800xt is.

yungcri

Reputable
Jan 3, 2021
Go to userbenchmark.com and run the test. Link the results here after.
Server is full constantly, can't run the software.

Since my last reply here's what I've done though and I have possibly fixed the issue, fingers crossed it holds. I ran memtest86 last night and everything passed with zero errors. This morning I have DDu'd in safe mode and reinstalled graphics drivers because I suspect that FurMark is actually the cause of the stuttering. Only after I ran FurMark for the first time did the stuttering begin. Since this morning I've stress tested the card using Unigine Heaven, and there was no stutters. I tested in R6S, and there was no stutters. I lastly tested in Escape from Tarkov, and there was no stutters. Sounds weird but the common denominator for the stuttering was FurMark.

With that said I don't know if the crashing is going to happen again, I haven't gotten to a point in my games where I can try to reproduce the crashing. Maybe the new PSU fixed it? I believe the stuttering I had was a different problem from the crashing.