Question Distorted audio on right headphone channel ?

roberto71

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2015
Hi,
I have this annoying issue of my right channel being distorted when I use the headphones. Speaker audio is ok.

I have already looked into many solutions, but I suspect that the new driver that Windows wants me to use (high definition audio device) is not working properly, nor is it allowing me to reinstall the Realtek one. (Audio_DCH_Realtek_Win10_64_VER6088251).

I tried to install the Intel recommended one (Audio-Win10_Win11-6.0.9456.1) to no use. Even doing fancy procedures like "legacy hardware" in the device manager brought me to a blue screen. It's frustrating, also because each time I reboot the system takes about 9-12 minutes. :-o

I sense also it might have to something with the electrical output. I remember with the realtek driver the headphone sometimes would just stop working out of the blue, and the only fix was to reboot.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Win 10 Pro
10.0.19044 build 19044
Zenbook UX392FN
Intel Core i7-8565U @1.80Ghz, 1992 Mhz, 4 core, 8 processors
Bios UEFI UX392FN.305, 29/06/2020

May 31, 2023
I don't know if I could be of any help but I had a similar issue my headphones stopped working all of a sudden I didn't know what was the issue reinstalled realtek and tried other headphones in case my regular wasn't working well. But when I asked my developer for help he said there was an issue with the drivers. Maybe you need to check with audio drivers, not the realtek ones. Because my issue got resolved once he installed the drivers.

roberto71

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2015
I don't know if I could be of any help but I had a similar issue my headphones stopped working all of a sudden I didn't know what was the issue reinstalled realtek and tried other headphones in case my regular wasn't working well. But when I asked my developer for help he said there was an issue with the drivers. Maybe you need to check with audio drivers, not the realtek ones. Because my issue got resolved once he installed the drivers.

Thanks for the input. I am experimenting with the drivers. In fact, I managed to reinstall the Realtek ones (6.0.8825.1) but the problem is still there (and and "unkown device" has appeared). The new drivers from the Intel site (6.0.9456.1) won't install: once I reboot after running the exe, I get a message that "there was no driver in this package" (or something like that).

So far:
- realtek drivers 6.0.8825.1 won't work, "unkown device" appeared
- realtek drivers 6.0.9456.1 won't install
- win hd audio drivers won't work

Any input is appreciated, even where I can find new drivers that would install...

roberto71

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2015
All spec sheets I see, lists sound for your Zenbook UX392FN as SonicMaster. If correct you should need ICEsound driver, not Realtek. I would get the driver here.

Also you never stated what model you headphone is, or if you connect by cable (USB or 3.5mm) or wireless.

Thanks for the idea. Shouldn't ICE sound be just a software that enhances the audio performance? That's installed as well in my notebook. If you follow the link you've suggested and click on "See all downloads" you can also find the

Realtek Audio Driver
Version V6.0.8825.1
34.63 MB
2019/12/26

I am using simple earbuds, connected via 3.5 mm stereo jack. Any earbud/headphone I try present the same issue.

Different idea: maybe I can move to Win 11 and see what happens?

Jun 8, 2023
It sounds like you're experiencing multiple audio-related issues with your Windows system. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to address the problems:

Uninstall and reinstall the audio driver:

Go to Device Manager by right-clicking on the Start button and selecting it from the menu.
Expand the "Sound, video, and game controllers" section.
Right-click on the audio device and choose "Uninstall device."
Restart your computer and let Windows automatically reinstall the driver. If it installs the High Definition Audio Device driver again, proceed to the next step.
Install the specific Realtek driver:

Visit the manufacturer's website (Realtek) and download the correct driver for your audio device. Make sure to select the appropriate version for your operating system.
Once downloaded, run the installer and follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.
Disable automatic driver updates:

Press Win + R to open the Run dialog box, then type "sysdm.cpl" and hit Enter. This will open the System Properties window.
Navigate to the "Hardware" tab and click on "Device Installation Settings."
Select the option "No (your device might not work as expected)" and click "Save Changes."
Check the headphone connection:

Ensure that the headphone plug is fully inserted into the audio jack on your computer. Try removing and reinserting it a few times to ensure a secure connection.
Test with different headphones:

If possible, try using a different pair of headphones to see if the distortion issue persists. This will help determine if the problem is with the headphones themselves or the audio driver.
If these steps don't resolve the issue, you may want to consider reaching out to the manufacturer's support team for further assistance. They can provide more specific guidance based on your system configuration.

roberto71

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2015
It sounds like you're experiencing multiple audio-related issues with your Windows system. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to address the problems:

Uninstall and reinstall the audio driver:

Go to Device Manager by right-clicking on the Start button and selecting it from the menu.
Expand the "Sound, video, and game controllers" section.
Right-click on the audio device and choose "Uninstall device."
Restart your computer and let Windows automatically reinstall the driver. If it installs the High Definition Audio Device driver again, proceed to the next step.
Install the specific Realtek driver:

Visit the manufacturer's website (Realtek) and download the correct driver for your audio device. Make sure to select the appropriate version for your operating system.
Once downloaded, run the installer and follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.
Disable automatic driver updates:

Press Win + R to open the Run dialog box, then type "sysdm.cpl" and hit Enter. This will open the System Properties window.
Navigate to the "Hardware" tab and click on "Device Installation Settings."
Select the option "No (your device might not work as expected)" and click "Save Changes."
Check the headphone connection:

Ensure that the headphone plug is fully inserted into the audio jack on your computer. Try removing and reinserting it a few times to ensure a secure connection.
Test with different headphones:

If possible, try using a different pair of headphones to see if the distortion issue persists. This will help determine if the problem is with the headphones themselves or the audio driver.
If these steps don't resolve the issue, you may want to consider reaching out to the manufacturer's support team for further assistance. They can provide more specific guidance based on your system configuration.
Thanks for your inputs. But I've already tried what you are suggesting, multiple times. The notebook is out-of-warranty and for such an issue (which will probably be solved by restoring the system to its original state, provided the sound card/audio port is ok) it is not worth to ship it. However, I have been in contact with ASUS support who provided the same kind of help that you are proposing.

I will install Win 11 hopefully during the w/e and let you guys know. Thanks.

roberto71

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2015
Quick update: I just finished installing Win 11 and the issue is still there :-(
The driver is the same: realtek Version V6.0.8825.1. I was hoping that Win 11 would replace that driver with a working one, but it didn't happen.
I'm out of ideas. I will try to update the driver to a win 11 one, though.

Last edited:

roberto71

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2015
I though to post an update about this thread. At this point I think the on board audio female 3,5mm port is faulty. Replacing it would mean to get a new one and weld it to the motherboard which is just shy out of my skills.

So here's what I did, I got myself a USB to female 3,5mm adapter and I'm running the audio (and the mic) through it. It works just fine. I have no idea whether the USB audio uses the same Realtek driver to produce the audio though.