Ditched Comcast Router/Modem and Wired/Wireless Connections Crapped Out

del2ek

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
So... I got the bright idea that I was going to skirt the $10/mo Comcast modem/router rental fee and buy my own. I went out and got an Arris SB6141 modem and a Linksys EA6350 router. I got the modem activated by Comcast, but as soon as I got everything hooked up, my connections started getting screwy. My wired desktop PC gets speeds of 120+ download with the old combo and when plugged directly into the Arris modem, but about half that when jacked into the router. The wireless devices either drop the connection constantly, say they're connected with no internet, or load so slowly that I can't even perform a speed test.

Any thoughts on what might be the issue? The router has 100 different settings, but it was behaving badly right out of the box, so maybe something needs changed there?

I've tried resetting everything (including the devices), I'm sitting right next to the router (not a distance issue). I'm pretty well stumped, and Comcast is repeatedly telling me it's the router. Maybe? Maybe not?

Let me know if I need to post more info.

Thanks
-Derek