Question DIY Case + server fans

Jun 29, 2019
First of all, hello to everyone reading this, I am new here and had to finally register to ask questions, but I am fan of Tomshardware since the times of P4 5GHz video in ... 2004?! I´m feeling old.

I need advices from you, much more expirienced people, on my project I would like to make, which will be DIY case for my future setup, that will have to last couple of years(5-7).

So, I will be getting those nice new 7nm components in next few months and I would like to make my own case, because
  1. I am tight on budget for 144Hz 1440p ready station
  2. got plenty of server fans from my old job
  3. time to waste on DIY since i won´t have money for the PC parts for 2 more months minimum
  4. like the process of creating something
I want to build case of cubic shape, with 2-4 fans on the front side, which would be able to
  1. keep overclocked components cool & have non restricted airflow
  2. have enough space for all of my 3,5" drives I have
  3. utilize the fans I have
  4. be quiet
  5. have nice cable management and access to the drives without the need to open the whole case and mess up everything
  6. Ideally have it under my screen as desktop

I will be fitting R5 3600 in it, with some X570 mobo, OC RAM and most likely new Radeon GPU, depending on the price and reviews I´m excited to check on this page.
It has to have about 4-6 3,5" slots for HDDs and another 1-2 2,5" slots for SSDs. Optical drive is dead to me, so there is no need to have bay for that.

Parameters can change depending on the prices of new components in my country (Czech Republic), budget is about 1200€ for components, material for case will be most likely wood since I can get it cheap.

I would like to utilize Delta fans (FFB1424SHG) I have from old servers, since I have 8 of them for free.
Power would be delivered from PSU, stepped up to 14 - 24V using boost converter and controlled by MB fan controller, so they run at low rpm to keep them quiet but still provide decent airflow and option to control them with usual utilities like SpeedFan etc.

What I am unsure about:
  1. Backplate for motherboard ports on the "rear" of the case
  2. Base to mount the motherboard on with the screws - shall I attach it directly to the wood or use metal part from old case?
  3. What material to use for such project? wood is most likely cheapest and easiest to work with
  4. Are there differencies in PWM and Hall sensor signals in desktop/server applications?
  5. Would be airflow from the front mounted fans sufficient to cool the CPU without fan mounted on the heatsink as usual or would it flow around it due to restrictions?
Thanks in advance for any hints, tips, critics or ideas how to do it better.

1. Backplate for motherboard ports on the "rear" of the case is MB specific but most new MB already have one (RF shield they call it) built in.
  2. You can salvage and modify any MB mounting plate from an older case, placement of holes for mounting MB haven't changed for ages.
  3. Use spacers and toll ones too because of better cable management and better cooling at back of MB. There's stuff that can get hot on that side too.
  4. Sensors and controllers are same but don't use server fans, they are all very loud at any speed.
5, No way, you need a proper CPU cooler with own fans, even laptops with 15W TDP CPUs have forced cooling. A 100W+ cpu needs sizable cooler.
Try to keep away from wood, metal case can soak up a lot of heat from inside and dissipate it, wood is exact opposite.

USAFRet

Titan
Suggestions:

1. Buy or obtain a cheap AXT case. $20 or free. Investigate and disassemble to get familiar with how everything goes together.
  2. Do NOT use old server fans, no matter if free. New 120mm or 140mm case fans are cheap, and will be MUCH quieter.
  3. You absolutely need a real CPU sooler, to mount directly to the CPU.