Question DIY custom loop/professional person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocksy

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
I build new system now: 5900X with RTX 3080.

Maybe I want to install custom loop on my build.. but dont know if its good idea to install it diy..

or give it to professional person and I will pay him for the installation..

This person request 300$ for the work only..

Because this is a type of project and sometimes the fun is to do it alone .. on the other hand you want it to come out well because it's your new system and it's a bit of a risk ..

what do you think?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Learn to do it yourself. Even if you pay someone to do the initial set up, you will still be responsible for maintenance, leak testing, checking compatibility, and so on.

From,
A guy who took an interest in custom liquid but had a change of heart at the end of their studies

Reactions: mac_angel

Ralston18

Titan
Thoughts:

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information for the proposed build.

$300 USD? That seems very expensive for just labor.

What warranties will that professional person provide and for how long?

Gather up all the User Guides/Manuals for the motherboard, CPU, GPU, cooler, etc... Read everything over from end to end.

Go to the manufacturer's websites for more information and details. Read Forums and FAQs.

Goal is to become more informed about what must be done and how it must be done.

Then you can decide what is best for you and your build.

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, this sounds like a steaping helping of bad idea. If you understand it enough to do the significant upkeep and maintenance, you'd understand it enough to build it yourself. And if the latter isn't true, the former isn't.

And as USAFRet notes, this is more a hobby thing than, in most situations, something necessary for the health of the PC. It's weird to pay someone to do your hobby for you; when I took up golf, I didn't pay my neighbor to get golf lessons.

Rocksy

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
Learn to do it yourself. Even if you pay someone to do the initial set up, you will still be responsible for maintenance, leak testing, checking compatibility, and so on.

From,
A guy who took an interest in custom liquid but had a change of heart at the end of their studies
Thoughts:

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information for the proposed build.

$300 USD? That seems very expensive for just labor.

What warranties will that professional person provide and for how long?

Gather up all the User Guides/Manuals for the motherboard, CPU, GPU, cooler, etc... Read everything over from end to end.

Go to the manufacturer's websites for more information and details. Read Forums and FAQs.

Goal is to become more informed about what must be done and how it must be done.

Then you can decide what is best for you and your build.
Why a custom loop? That is mainly a hobbyist type thing.
And you don't pay someone else to do your hobbies for you.
Yeah, this sounds like a steaping helping of bad idea. If you understand it enough to do the significant upkeep and maintenance, you'd understand it enough to build it yourself. And if the latter isn't true, the former isn't.

And as USAFRet notes, this is more a hobby thing than, in most situations, something necessary for the health of the PC. It's weird to pay someone to do your hobby for you; when I took up golf, I didn't pay my neighbor to get golf lessons.

I will write ^
this person give 1 year warranty.

Rocksy

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
  1. A custom water loop does not give magically low temps.
  2. It WILL require maintenance. Will this be you, or the guy who builds it?

About 2.. this is the title of the thread..
this guy wanna 300$ for the work only and 1 year warranty.
He told me that the only maintenance is replace the water

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
As someone who as watercooled for 19 years......

Don't do this unless you are going to do this yourself.

This is a bad idea....there is more to watercooling maintenance than 'just changing the water'........believe me.

1yg1jq
1yg1jq.jpg

Ralston18

Titan
And "premium looking" is cosmetic and/or subjective.

The end, expensive build may (or "might") look good but that does not contribute to performance and stability.

And when things start growing in it (as mentioned by @USAFRet) the build will not look good.

Have your professional person provide some photographs of his past custom loops/builds. Ask permission to post them here.

Curious as to how he may respond.

DSzymborski

Titan
And a warranty from a dude is worthless. A warranty from an established business is not.

And the fact that he told you the only maintenance is "changing water" means he's either a liar or incompetent. Both are qualities that you should avoid.

You have to assume that the person is not going to be any help after installation. If you're able to handle problems that arise with a custom loop -- and problems do arise -- then you're able to build it yourself. What happens in 18 months when there's algae build-up and you've never worked on an open loop before? You're going to pay someone else another $300 to do your hobby for you?

If you want function, get a high-end air or water cooler, stick it on, and it'll perform excellently.

Rocksy

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
And "premium looking" is cosmetic and/or subjective.

The end, expensive build may (or "might") look good but that does not contribute to performance and stability.

And when things start growing in it (as mentioned by @USAFRet) the build will not look good.

Have your professional person provide some photographs of his past custom loops/builds. Ask permission to post them here.

Curious as to how he may respond.

What are you talking about man?
it is not personal simple guy.. it is professional modder that made customs everyday for customers with shop.. it is one of the best in my country,

Ralston18

Titan
What I "am talking about" is simple: Do not let an expensive ($300 for labor, $? for parts) and fancy looking system fool you into thinking that what he does will make the computer perform better or last longer.

As as been clearly pointed out there are many concerns.

Will leave it at that.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Sounds like the OP is just looking for our approval, not our advice.

I assume there was an expectation we would be overjoyed and excited for this scenario when in reality there are a few very strong points I have questions and concerns about.

Time to let this one go.

Good luck.

Rocksy

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
What I "am talking about" is simple: Do not let an expensive ($300 for labor, $? for parts) and fancy looking system fool you into thinking that what he does will make the computer perform better or last longer.

As as been clearly pointed out there are many concerns.

Will leave it at that.

I know that custom loop not make it perform better or last longer..... why you told me that...

Status
Not open for further replies.