Question DLSS is making my games worse, Why?

Oct 23, 2024
I played a plague tales requiem and black myth wu kong. I had to turn the DLSS off because when I move the camera around in the game there are some vertical lines, like some vertical pieces of the images that separate from the main one (if there is a technical name for it let me know). I thought the DLSS suppose to help in some ways but why for me it is just worse?

My PC:
Windows 11 pro 64-bit
AMD Ryzen 5 7600x
Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Super
Kingston FURY Beast 32GB 6000MT/s DDR5
Kingston KC3000 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD
MSI B650 GAMING PLUS WIFI
Gigabyte UD850GM power supply unit 850 W
Monitor: Samsung - 27” ViewFinity S7 4k UHD 60Hz

Last edited:
DLSS is not a single setting anymore it has a lot of options and which you use can greatly affect your image.

The key thing DLSS does is upscale the image. You would run it at 1024 and then upscale it and pretend the image is at 4k.
The problem is all the extra data in the 4k image does not actually exist it is all being simulated and sometime you can see this fake data.

The more advanced version of DLSS actually insert whole fake generated frames so now you have fake data in frame because of upscaling and addition fake frames generated based on the already fake upscaled frames

There really is no magic it can not create data that does not exist and sometime you can see it. It varies greatly between games as to how well it works.

Best is to not use any kind of DLSS if you can get the resolutions you need at usable frame rates. Then be careful to choose the quality correctly since this represent how much it is upscaling.

On most games there is a option to use DLSS to just run anti aliasing. This is a very basic form of dlss that does not generate as much false data since it is just smoothing edges....ie making things blurry.

Reactions: menteinstabile
Oct 23, 2024
DLSS is not a single setting anymore it has a lot of options and which you use can greatly affect your image.

The key thing DLSS does is upscale the image. You would run it at 1024 and then upscale it and pretend the image is at 4k.
The problem is all the extra data in the 4k image does not actually exist it is all being simulated and sometime you can see this fake data.

The more advanced version of DLSS actually insert whole fake generated frames so now you have fake data in frame because of upscaling and addition fake frames generated based on the already fake upscaled frames

There really is no magic it can not create data that does not exist and sometime you can see it. It varies greatly between games as to how well it works.

Best is to not use any kind of DLSS if you can get the resolutions you need at usable frame rates. Then be careful to choose the quality correctly since this represent how much it is upscaling.

On most games there is a option to use DLSS to just run anti aliasing. This is a very basic form of dlss that does not generate as much false data since it is just smoothing edges....ie making things blurry.
Thank you for your detailed answer. So I guess it is best to just not to use it. I'm playing in 4k but with DLSS the fur, for example, is a bit more defined, so it could have been nice to keep it active.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
This is all seems a little like screen tearing which is normally a mismatch between gpu output and screen resolution or possibly some vsync or adaptive sync settings.

You mentioned you played at 4k - what mhz is the monitor - what is the model.

Do you know what fps you are getting in the game you are experiencing issues with?

Are you using any vsync or setting max fps in games in the settings?

russell_john

Honorable
Mar 25, 2018
I'm new in the PC world and always hear about updating everything and it's all super updated
To update DLSS upscaling you have to manually drop in the latest nvngx_dlss.dll in all your games that use DLSS

To update DLSS Frame Generation you have to manually update to the latest nvngx_dlssg.dll in all your games that use DLSS Frame Generation

The latest DLSS DLLs can be found here https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-dlss-dll/ and here https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-dlss-3-frame-generation-dll/

However your problem seems to be sync related but since you didn't list your monitor in your specs it's hard to speculate exactly what is off but it's likely not DLSS upscaling. You probably aren't going to like hearing this but you are a bit underpowered both with CPU and GPU for 4k at least with the highest settings in a game like Plague Tales Requiem

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2024
This is all seems a little like screen tearing which is normally a mismatch between gpu output and screen resolution or possibly some vsync or adaptive sync settings.

You mentioned you played at 4k - what mhz is the monitor - what is the model.

Do you know what fps you are getting in the game you are experiencing issues with?

Are you using any vsync or setting max fps in games in the settings?

50 fps but the problem is also with 80

vsync on but the problem is also with off, fps locked at 60 but the problem is there also with unlocked fps

Oct 23, 2024
To update DLSS upscaling you have to manually drop in the latest nvngx_dlss.dll in all your games that use DLSS

To update DLSS Frame Generation you have to manually update to the latest nvngx_dlssg.dll in all your games that use DLSS Frame Generation

The latest DLSS DLLs can be found here https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-dlss-dll/ and here https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-dlss-3-frame-generation-dll/

However your problem seems to be sync related but since you didn't list your monitor in your specs it's hard to speculate exactly what is off but it's likely not DLSS upscaling. You probably aren't going to like hearing this but you are a bit underpowered both with CPU and GPU for 4k at least with the highest settings in a game like Plague Tales Requiem
thank you for the info, I'm a bit scared to manually replace a file now that the game is working "fine" but I may try it at some point.

I'm not sure if it is a problem of power because the problem is there with low settings and resolution, Now I'm playing Wu Kong 4k all max settings (except for XeSS super resolution that is at 50 instead of 100 but I can't put it at 100 even with low settings, weird) I get between 35 to 60 fps. If I activate the DLSS the fur and grass is smoother but there is that big lines problem. I'm also realizing that I get the problem with the lines if the V-Sync is off