Question DNS server issue when two work laptops are connected to same home network

Sep 3, 2021
Hello, I recently got a laptop from work, and when I brought it home to work on, the home network failed due to a DNS Server issue. I tracked the problem down to when my work laptop is connected, and my significant other's laptop is connect...more importantly it is when my significant other logs into the VPN - Pulse Secure.

I do not have a VPN currently that I am logging into, I do use VMware Horizon to login to a virtual desktop though. This can be ruled out as an issue since I use this program on my desktop, with no issues.

Any ideas of where I should look next? My IT area is of no help, as they stated they can't assist in troubleshooting my home network. They have confirmed that all of our adapters (ethernet, wifi, and docking station) obtain DHCP & DNS automatically.

Thank you!

Ralston18

Titan
On your work laptop ensure that only one network adapter is enabled: either wired or wireless not both at the same time.

My overall thought being is that there is an IP address conflict.

Network router - make and model? Who has admin rights to your network router?

The router's admin pages and logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clue as to what is happening.

Hopefully the router is able to provide some listing of connected devices: by name, IP address, and MAC.

On your work laptop and on your significant other's laptop run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results being sure to identify the source laptop.

Any other network devices: desktops, printers, NAS, etc..?

Sep 3, 2021
QUOTE="Ralston18, post: 22443527, member: 1616259"]
On your work laptop ensure that only one network adapter is enabled: either wired or wireless not both at the same time.

My overall thought being is that there is an IP address conflict.

Network router - make and model? Who has admin rights to your network router?

The router's admin pages and logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clue as to what is happening.

Hopefully the router is able to provide some listing of connected devices: by name, IP address, and MAC.

On your work laptop and on your significant other's laptop run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results being sure to identify the source laptop.

Any other network devices: desktops, printers, NAS, etc..?
[/QUOTE]

I had already done a DHCP reservation for each MAC address on both laptops; so I think it might be something over than an IP address conflict...but I could be wrong.

Setup: CenturyLink 940Mbps Fiber, Zyxel C3000Z doing gateway/routing duties, wired and wireless network, RAX80 in access point mode for Wi-Fi, and a SX10 switch. I have admin rights to the router and all devices (besides the 2 laptops at issue, only our work IT areas have those).

I have attached the router info, and both ipconfig/all screen shots. All of the images

We also have a personal desktop, laptop, 2 tablets, 2 Iphones, 3 rokus, 2 NAS's (QNAP TS-219P+ & TS-431P), 3 Echos, a ring door bell, several Kasa switchs/outlets, a printer (HP 6978), and a Dune HD 303D.

Everything was working fine, until I added my work laptop (a Dell Latitude 5420) it has the most recent drivers and Windows updates. Then it works as long as the SO's work laptop isn't connected to the VPN; once that happens the whole network goes down with a DNS Server issue. SO's work laptop is fine connected to the VPN, as long as my computer isn't connected to the network. So I know it is only a problem when both are connected to the network at the same time.

Any ideas on how to fix the problem, would be greatly appreciated. Or any work arounds. Thank you!