Question Do ANY motherboards support Class 0 / ATA Password on nVME drives?

Aug 13, 2020
Hello.

The latest round of Samsung M.2 nVME drives all support Class 0 hardware encryption.

However, I can't seem to find any motherboards that support Class 0 / ATA Password for nVME drives.

I am familiar with the various other encryption options. So, I am not needing advice on other ways to encrypt drives. I really just need to know if any motherboards even exist that support this feature.

I have asked the 4 major gaming motherboard companies: MSI, Gigabyte, Asus and ASRock. Gigabyte, Asus and ASRock all said that they do not have any boards that support it. MSI didn't answer.

I asked Samsung and had a very lengthy back-and-forth chat where I presume an entire room full of people were asked. They did not know.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. A link to a motherboard that supports this would be a holy grail!

Thanks in advance.

Aug 13, 2020
I thought AsRock had some.
Their site is blocked for me so I can't double-check your findings. :(

I read that they did. But, it was in a thread from 2018 and their own product sales email replied to say that they do not have boards with that support.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean it's true. I would love it if you or someone else could point to one that has the support.

I will go to their site to double-check as well...

Aug 13, 2020
I'm starting to think that the lack of support for this feature is a bad side-effect of Intel getting out of motherboards... The top 4 appear to have become a sloppy monolith.