Question Do Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 and Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore really fit into Lancool III?

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
According to PC Part picker, they do.

PCpartpicker-fit.png

But if I actually start trying to install them and put them together, I am struggling.

First, I saw this problem. On the Lancool III case, there is this structure (I marked red in the image) that's blocking the installation of this big motherboard. But for this problem, I simply removed that structure.

Kakao-Talk-20221117-173010209-redmark.png

Kakao-Talk-20221117-173010209-01-redmark.png

Second, now that I installed the motherboard, I checked if I can install the cooler. But it doesn't fit. The cooler is too big for this case if I am not mistaken.

How can I install this cooler? Should I take away the top of the case?

Kakao-Talk-20221117-173455919.jpg

The front already has three fans (in the picture you can see). Is it still possible to put this AIO on the front?
Several ways...one is remove the three fans and replace them with the radiator then put the fans in the top positions. Another is if the fans are 140mm fans mount the radiator to the back of them and put the radiator fans in back of the radiator in a push- pull. Just use your imagination, you could probably find more.

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
Several ways...one is remove the three fans and replace them with the radiator then put the fans in the top positions. Another is if the fans are 140mm fans mount the radiator to the back of them and put the radiator fans in back of the radiator in a push- pull. Just use your imagination, you could probably find more.

Is it bad for the functioning of the computer to try to just remove the entire upper panel of this case and put the AIO cooler? Perhaps without the upper panel, the AIO radiator will remove the heat even better away from the inside of the computer?

Appearances aside I don't suppose it's exactly bad for it's functioning so long as the radiator is secure and can't fall on onto the components.

But why not just mount it in the front where it will probably work better than any top mount and at the same time preserve the appearances you paid good money for with that case?

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
Appearances aside I don't suppose it's exactly bad for it's functioning so long as the radiator is secure and can't fall on onto the components.

But why not just mount it in the front where it will probably work better than any top mount and at the same time preserve the appearances you paid good money for with that case?

I am just a clueless novice. It's my second time assembling a computer, first time dealing with AIO. Is the front of the case the most common and correct place to put the AIO? Not the upper part of the case?

By the way, why did the pc part picker say they are compatible? Am I just missing something or is this website just not actually testing the compatibility?
Many reasons why you can't expect them to be 100% reliable for things like this. The first and main reason is because it seems unreasonable to me they'd actually test every possible combination of hardware that's made in the world so they probably rely on the manufacturers own compatibility listings.

But in this case it probably is compatible if you mount the radiator in the front.

Last edited:
Reactions: mujmuj

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
Many reasons why you can't expect them to be 100% reliable for things like this. The first and main reason is because it seems unreasonable to me they'd actually test every possible combination of hardware that's made in the world so they probably rely on the manufacturers own compatibility listings.

But in this case it probably is compatible if you mount the radiator in the front.

Thanks!

You said "why not just mount it in the front where it will probably work better than any top mount". Is this generally the case? Is the front of the case the most common and correct place to put the AIO? Not the upper part of the case?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is the front of the case the most common and correct place to put the AIO? Not the upper part of the case?
One boy cried wolf(top mount), and 'all of society' started yapping the same thing.
Both top and front are viable locations. One is not absolute over the other, except in specific scenarios; kinda defeating the purpose installing these coolers' radiators against anything other than open mesh panels.

Just FYI: There is a drawback with 360 and 420mm coolers with cases that only support those sizes at the front. The loop will start to make annoying sounds when the fluid level gets low enough - takes some years for that to happen though.
In this scenario, there is no choice but to replace it, instead of getting more use out of it by moving it to the top.

-Scroll down to Multi-way Front Fan/Radiator Bracket and keep in mind the 4 different scenario images.
-Scroll down to Removable Top Fan Bracket. There's an image as well as an important note in red there.
-Scroll down to 420mm Radiator Installation. More images and red notes.

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
One boy cried wolf(top mount), and 'all of society' started yapping the same thing.
Both top and front are viable locations. One is not absolute over the other, except in specific scenarios; kinda defeating the purpose installing these coolers' radiators against anything other than open mesh panels.

Just FYI: There is a drawback with 360 and 420mm coolers with cases that only support those sizes at the front. The loop will start to make annoying sounds when the fluid level gets low enough - takes some years for that to happen though.
In this scenario, there is no choice but to replace it, instead of getting more use out of it by moving it to the top.

-Scroll down to Multi-way Front Fan/Radiator Bracket and keep in mind the 4 different scenario images.
-Scroll down to Removable Top Fan Bracket. There's an image as well as an important note in red there.
-Scroll down to 420mm Radiator Installation. More images and red notes.

Thank you for pointing this to me. But I can't understand. I tried to put this AIO into either top position or front of the case, but the AIO is just so big it doesn't get in.

In the link you provided, it says, if I want to put it on the front part of the case, "Note: When mounting a 420mm radiator at the front, please 1. Mount the fan bracket at scenario 1 (bracket facing outward) 2. Do not remove the front bracket during installation 3. Mount the radiator on the inner side of the bracket 4. Mount the fan toward the front side"

I cannot understand "scenario 1". In all of these scenarios pictures, the entire front is entirely empty (in particular, there are no fans in front). But in fact, there are large three fans already attached to the front of this case.
Four-scenario-explanations-on-Lancool-website.png

I don't know what "bracket" means. So I can't understand what "bracket facing outward" means.

I don't know what "front bracket" means.

Therefore I don't know what "inner side of the bracket" means.

Which fan does "fan" in "4. Mount the fan toward the front side" mean? The fans attached to the AIO? Or the front fans that came attached to the front of the case?

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
Now I took away the two top covers on this case.

Please see this picture.

1. First, I took away the outer-most top cover.

2. Second, I took away the inside bracket.

3. Then, the cover of the case is now completely missing.

4. So then I could finally put my huge AIO over here like this:
Covers-that-were-detached-and-AIO-mounted-over-the-case.png

From inside, now it looks like this. Is this OK way to install AIO?

inside-case-after-putting-AIO-on-top-of-the-case-after-taking-away-all-the-covers-on-top-of-case.jpg

From the top, it looks like this. Is it a problem that the width of this AIO is narrower than the width of the case, so that AIO isn't covering the entire top of the case? If the only problem is that it may look ugly to some people, I don't care. I only care about performance.
AIO-over-the-case.jpg

Last edited:
From inside, now it looks like this. Is this OK way to install AIO?

It will be ugly but it will function OK. It might actually function better than with the top mesh panel in place since it's now enjoying completely unobstructed airflow. Just be sure you secure it in place since it might be bumped and fall down inside the system damaging it. Zip lock tie straps might work just fine for that.

Front mount is generally better than top mount because it uses cool outside air for cooling the radiator and CPU while top mount uses the hot air exhausting from the GPU during gaming. Of course it can work better with a mesh front panel but a solid panel front may not make that much of a difference if it has a decent sized gap for air flow since most mesh panels can be restrictive anyway. When it can use cool external air it doesn't need as much airflow to cool well so the fans don't need to run at high speeds: lower fan speed means a quieter system which is one of the main reasons to go with liquid cooling in the first place.

Last edited:

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
Now that I put AIO on top of the case, I now have another question. I am not sure whether I have to create a new thread or not. But let me first describe my issue.

1. This thing marked red is coming out of this AIO. What is this? Is this something I have to plug into motherboard? But...
Kakao-Talk-20221118-223932803-01-redmark.png

But here, I could see one thing that is coming from the end of "round thing", and I plugged this onto the motherboard already. Is this right thing to do? If I already connected it to motherboard, then perhaps I can just ignore the thing in the previous picture?

AIO-to-motherboard-connector.png

2. Relatedly, there are these lines that are coming from front fans (not AIO) attached to the case. Should I separate them and try to plug them onto somewhere on motherboard? But...
pzi1tjH.jpg

But I have already connected one line that clearly had pins to the motherboard. Do I still have to connect the other things?
H5Tlyg9.png

Last edited:

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
3. To affix the end of the AIO to the CPU, I guess I have to put these things onto the motherboard in the following picture. But...
Ypwg8h7.jpg

But if we see the following picture, I can't find anywhere to screw these things in. Those 4 "holes" are blocked holes.
nORzGQB.jpg

3. To affix the end of the AIO to the CPU, I guess I have to put these things onto the motherboard in the following picture. But...
Ypwg8h7.jpg

But if we see the following picture, I can't find anywhere to screw these things in. Those 4 "holes" are blocked holes.
nORzGQB.jpg
You have an LGA2066 socket motherboard and I don't believe you need to remove the backplate. All you have to do is attach the correct adapter plate to the pump/water block, then attach the correct standoffs into threaded inserts on the front side of the socket and then attach the pump/water block to it.

I'm not sure where those connections are coming from but they could be the fans and would attach to a fan header on the motherboard.

Please pay close attention to the instructions...here's an on-line link. Select the one appropriate to the revision level of your cooler and your motherboard socket.
https://support.arctic.de/de/lf2-420
It can be difficult with one of these fits-all kits. My advice is to first go through all the hardware against the instructions and sort out everything that works only with your CPU socket. Then put everything that does NOT work with your socket back in the box. Once you've cleared the table of unecessary hardware it often becomes much clearer how it works and what you have to do.

Lastly, and don't take this wrong, but your questions leave me to believe your quite new at this. It's important to mount the water block correctly or you could very quickly damage your CPU and/or motherboard. Of course, we all started off at this but for most of us the hardware was cheaper so way less was at risk. But if you want, go ahead although it might be a good idea to seek out some over-the-shoulder assistance from an experienced builder at critical moments. If you don't really think this is a skill set you want to take the time to learn a good computer shop would mount it for you at a nominal fee.

Reactions: mujmuj and Phaaze88