[SOLVED] Do CPUs require drivers?

Drew2345

Reputable
Jul 20, 2019
So im pretty handy and educated about pc hardware but when it comes to software im zero. I recently swapped out my i5 6600 with the mb and went with amd(ryzen 2700x+asrock b450 pro4) . Once i get the pc built i dont plan on reinstalling OS. So my question is what do i have to do software wise, do I just uninstall the old MB drivers and install new ones and just game or are there also CPU related drivers i should install or delete?Anything else i should do?

Solution
There aren't really any CPU drivers that you have to install yourself. But I HIGHLY recommend just reinstalling when moving from amd to intel or intel to amd. Not doing so can mess up things like power plans, and cause issues like seemingly random freezes/crashes. It can also hinder performance a bit.
There aren't really any CPU drivers that you have to install yourself. But I HIGHLY recommend just reinstalling when moving from amd to intel or intel to amd. Not doing so can mess up things like power plans, and cause issues like seemingly random freezes/crashes. It can also hinder performance a bit.

Reactions: Drew2345
Solution

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
"Once i get the pc built i dont plan on reinstalling OS "
this will be a big issue. the motherboard is not one device but many, the CPU only needs drivers installed if it has an integrated GPU, the GPU will need drivers installed to function beyond basic features.

with a motherboard swap I suggest reinstalling windows, with a motherboard change and a change from intel to AMD a re-install is a MUST.
you do not want the registry that trashed, start new.

Drew2345

Reputable
Jul 20, 2019
"Once i get the pc built i dont plan on reinstalling OS "
this will be a big issue. the motherboard is not one device but many, the CPU only needs drivers installed if it has an integrated GPU, the GPU will need drivers installed to function beyond basic features.

with a motherboard swap I suggest reinstalling windows, with a motherboard change and a change from intel to AMD a re-install is a MUST.
you do not want the registry that trashed, start new.
Ok thanks a lot didnt realise it was such a big deal. Im glad I asked, ill take it to a professional and reinstall everything once it's built.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. A cpu does not require drivers. But, drivers aren't much more than a list of instructions that facilitates usage of a component with the cpu. That component could even be part of the motherboard, like the PCH or Sata controller or Super i/o or part of the cpu itself like the integrated gpu.

So while a cpu as such doesn't require drivers, if you want anything to actually work with the cpu, you will need drivers.

Reinstall windows, whether you want to or not is irrelevant. In layman's terms, right now your pc is set up to speak English, everything communicates in English, all its directives and instructions are in English. When you replace the motherboard, the only language it speaks is Chinese. Everything will have communication issues, performance issues, directions issues etc, and trying to get the motherboard to understand English is about as easy as the motherboard trying to get everything else speaking Chinese. Mostly it'll get by with using sign language, point here and there, but with sign language also exists the possibility of the Universal Finger Gesture, and that can get extremely common.

Last edited: