Do gaming motherboards have much higher performance than normal motherboards?

Raanaa

Reputable
Feb 28, 2016
I am looking for a good motherboard for my new PC. I just want to know that which H170 motherboard should I prefer? I searched through the internet and found that there are two types available in the market. One for gaming and the other is a normal one. The gaming motherboards have a higher price ( $35 more approximately). I want to make it cheaper and want performance too. Which one should I go for then? Any questions, please ask.

Thank you.

Nuckles_56

Admirable
The gaming motherboards come with additional features for the most part, or they have gimmicks which you don't need, and for most users, gamers included a normal motherboard will do the job just fine

William Schnatz

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014

The only time a gaming motherboard comes in handy is if you are a heavy overclocker, or you just like gaming motherboard aesthetics compared to a normal one.

pigeoncracker

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
The only advantages they have are aesthetics, some nice features, overclocking advantages (depending on the board), and a more extensive BIOS (from what I've seen). Honestly, I tend to go for boards without the gaming tag since they're about the same as their gaming partners without paying for a ton of useless software that I will never use. Killer Ethernet is a good example of one such useless program. Otherwise, I tend to avoid them.

It's bloatware vs no bloatware.