Question Do higher tier gpus last longer?

Skywragengl

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2015
For example 4090. Since I buy gpu every 6 to 7 years, does it make sense to buy model with more power phases like MSI Suprim X over Gaming Trio? I don't just game on these gpus, but also do utilize that vram for rendering and ML things. I don't overclock. Will gpu of higher tier last longer?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Define higher tier?

If you are thinking the difference between a 4090 FE and a 4090 FTW, then no, you get a couple more fps, normally you'd see better temps but boost algorithms will use that up to get the fps gains, but both are still 4090's. So no real advantage there.

If you are thinking the difference between a 4070 and a 4090, then there's a strong possibility of extended lifespan, upto a point.
A few years ago, there was a marked difference between a 970 and a 980ti. With today's games and today's cpus, the difference between those 2 cards is far smaller now than it used to be. So for a while there was an advantage, but now, any of the 9 series cards are too long in the tooth to be competitive. By the time nvidia is on the 50 or 60 series cards, the same will have happened to the 10 and 20 series and the lower end 30 series.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Gpus of higher tier lasting longer? Apparently not - at least on Nvidia gpus. I remember Buildzoid bringing it up across his PCB breakdown videos.
In regards to their composition, for example: a xx90 or xx80Ti is more liable to be 'cheap' under the hood than an xx70.

I don't overclock.
Even if you don't, these things are designed to do it for you, automatically and dynamically. Plus, depending on the product tier(Gaming X, Z, Suprim, etc.), the manufacturer adds an extra bump on top.

This gen(40 series), aftermarket solutions don't have much going for them beyond aesthetics and being more available. The FE:
-the PCB has a superior composition to most models.
-is compatible with more custom water blocks(if anyone wanted to go that route).
-capable of operating thermals well within spec.
-cooler doesn't dump all its waste heat inside the PC. Other models may do better here, but not enough to make a major impact, and they're dumping all their waste heat inside the PC. [Suprim Liquid and similar can be positioned to exhaust directly out the PC.]
-it costs less than most options.