Do I just leave a USB hub plugged in on the PC or do I need to eject it when I turn off the PC?

Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
Is it really necessary to eject a usb hub? I mean it's works like a regular usb port so I think that it's a necessity to eject it after use. But if I just left it plugged in will that destroy the hub since I did not eject it?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Solution
The whole ejecting of USB devices is more about removable storage that uses a FAT32 storage format. Removing a drive during write operations can lead to corrupt data.

USB hubs literally just add ports to the serial bus. They don't typically do anything complex. You can leave it plugged in all the time and you shouldn't need to eject it before disconnection.

The same rules apply though, if you do have a storage device plugged in and it is actively being used, then it is best to eject those drives properly.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The whole ejecting of USB devices is more about removable storage that uses a FAT32 storage format. Removing a drive during write operations can lead to corrupt data.

USB hubs literally just add ports to the serial bus. They don't typically do anything complex. You can leave it plugged in all the time and you shouldn't need to eject it before disconnection.

The same rules apply though, if you do have a storage device plugged in and it is actively being used, then it is best to eject those drives properly.

Solution