Do I need a better graphics card, CPU, or what?

eliot22

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
I only play two games: Star Wars The Old Republic, and World of Warcraft. So obviously I shouldn't need a super computer here. In both games, sometimes I can play in Ultra graphics settings just fine, but most of the time frames drop real low and I have to run med-high settings. So I'm wondering, what do I need to upgrade to be able to always play with ultra settings?

Here is my current setup:

CPU: Intel i5 2500 (not overclocked)
MoBo: Asus P8Z68-V LE
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600
Graphics: GTX 460
Hard drive: Samsung SSD 840 EVO

Thanks.

Ensure you have the latest drivers installed by visiting Nvidia's website and downloading non-Beta drivers.

Check your GPU temperatures during gameplay by using GPU-Z, MSI-Afterburner, HW Monitor or a similar program.

You can configure your GPU via GeForce Experience. It might be best to try setting all options to Let Application Decide.

You can also check the GPU for abnormalities via Control Panel > System > Device Manager > Display Adapters. Ensure it's set to 'Enabled' by right-clicking on it.

eliot22

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
Thanks for the replies. I assumed it was the GPU, but I wanted to make sure before I shelled out the cash.

I have been thinking about going with a GTX 760. You think that will do the trick?

jeffredo

Distinguished
Absolutely - you'll notice a pretty large difference between your current card and a GTX 760. Went from a GTX 460 to a GTX 670 a few years ago - huge increase. The GTX 760 is about the same as that card in performance.