Do I need a GTX 970?

Buggu

Reputable
May 21, 2015
I am moving (and have asked this poor community about dozens of things related to a PC component swap in a frenzy of laziness and indecisiveness). I play games like Insurgency, War Thunder and TF2. I also play some Splinter Cell Blacklist, and when the next game comes out I will buy it (I hope). I can run all these at max settings on my three-fan Gigabyte GTX 960. Nothing too graphically intensive, I don't think. I run it all at 1680x1050 since I don't wanna pay out the you-know-what for a monitor with some improvement and a whole lotta buzzwords (144Hz, Ultra-whatever that will run all my games at ultra-max settings = price tag $1000+) However, since I will be living in a small space I am considering downsizing my PC. Due to the aforementioned card, I will need to buy a new GPU. I am looking at the MSI GTX 960 and 970 4GB. What should I do?

Solution
ahh oaky, well that IS a goregous case, and honestly i do think you should keep it as is, and just see if you can find a different storage/placement way/metho/place, to put it in your new room

HOWEVER, if that is just not possible, or you such, dont worry, considering your "huge" gigabyte 960 is only 30cm long, there are plenty of cases out there that will support it, in its current form/length, while the case will still be smaller :)
alot of mid tower cases are about 40cm, thats 20cm smaller en "length" and and height than you current, and will support your current card fine, no need to buy new
one of the even better things to look for (if you "must" get a new case) is a case with removable bays/cages
and then you can actually get a...

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
for those games at that resolution gtx960 will be fine
if you want to "future" proff i.e for newer titles you want a 970

BUT
if all that "fancy stuff" you spoke off doesnt bother you, i suspect you wont mind if you had to tweak graphic settings to stuff below "ultra" and u wont mind 60fps or lower
and then a 960 will do just that
to compare i get about 35-45fps in Rise of the Tomb on Ultra on a 960, can u live with something like that? you could lower quality settings to high/very high and get more fps if u wanted, can u live with that?
then 960 is enough for now

970 will cost more so if you dont "use" it, it will be a waste, also in max 6 months all teh new graphics cards are out, giving more options, if u wish by then to upgrade from your 960

w41g872

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
I say just go for a used 970. They are now around $250 on eBay and they are really the sweetspot in term of Price/Performance ratio. You can see a lot of improvement by switching from 960 to 970. Or you can just buy new and get a free copy of The Division (which 960 does not have) if you buy them on Newegg or EVGA. I mean, seriously, you can't just get a new card and spend all those money just to get the exact same card as you started, right? Moreover, you will probably not buy a GTX 1070 the time it comes out because people will say it is new so it is overpriced.

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
something just occured to me,, how are you planning to downsize your "space", by downsizing you PC?, unless you go for like a micro build, and even by then its truly not a lot of space you save, and would just end up costing money for a mini build.
if space is an issue, how "huge", is your current PC case?, you could always just find optional ways to place/store it
on deks, inside desk, under, on wall (ever noticed how much wall space goes unused?)

Buggu

Reputable
May 21, 2015

When I built my PC in the first place, I went with the NZXT Phantom 630 (Absolutely f---in' giant case - 23"x22"x9.5")
due to misinformation.

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
ahh oaky, well that IS a goregous case, and honestly i do think you should keep it as is, and just see if you can find a different storage/placement way/metho/place, to put it in your new room

HOWEVER, if that is just not possible, or you such, dont worry, considering your "huge" gigabyte 960 is only 30cm long, there are plenty of cases out there that will support it, in its current form/length, while the case will still be smaller :)
alot of mid tower cases are about 40cm, thats 20cm smaller en "length" and and height than you current, and will support your current card fine, no need to buy new
one of the even better things to look for (if you "must" get a new case) is a case with removable bays/cages
and then you can actually get a case even smaller that will still support your current GPU (30cm length), without you having to go buy the "same" again, saving money ;),
40$case, that is 30% smaller, sill cheaper than mini case+new card, (and then all your other stuff might not fit either)
but in a standard 40cm Mid Tower everything should always fit no worries, unless you have some huge sick cooling setup ;)

Solution

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
corsair 100r would be an example , you get about 20cm in height and length, shaved off, standard mini tower, fits any normal atx build
you can find a case even smaller, just requires a bit more direct searching, just keep in mind: minimum 30cm case length/depth, for your current card, so you wont have to buy a new 1, has to fit your current motherboard(ATX, E-ATX, mATX whichever size your mobo is) and removable drive bays/cages option help alot with this