[SOLVED] Do I need a new PSU - RTX 3080?

Solution
Should be ok for the config. However, while good in it's day, that PSU platform is really long in the tooth now.... and I'd suggest you start budgeting for a quality, modern replacement sooner than later.

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
PART
TOTAL POWER DRAW
Ryzen 7 2700X~50 W
RTX 3080~320 W (Stock)
ROG Strix B450-F Gaming~41 W
RAM~15 Watts No OC x 2 DIMMs
SSD~2W
HDD~3W x 2 HDDs
Case Fan~2 W
Noctua NH-D15S~1 W
TOTAL477 W (stock) Over 500 W likely

This should definitely be sufficient unless the RTX 3080 is capable of drawing double its stock power under load lol

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Should be ok for the config. However, while good in it's day, that PSU platform is really long in the tooth now.... and I'd suggest you start budgeting for a quality, modern replacement sooner than later.
Agreed with this. It's not so much the power thats really in question, more the quality of the platform you are using for today's needs, the S12 was good, but it's getting on a bit too much now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pickachu
PART
TOTAL POWER DRAW
Ryzen 7 2700X~25 W (stock) 50 (Max)
RTX 3080~320 W (Stock)
ROG Strix B450-F Gaming~41 W
RAM~15 Watts No OC x 2 DIMMs
SSD~2W
HDD~3W x 2 HDDs
Case Fan~2 W
Noctua NH-D15S~1 W
TOTAL427 W (stock) Little over 500 W likely

This should definitely be sufficient unless the RTX 3080 is capable of drawing double its stock power under load lol

That looks totally innacurate... 2700X drawing 25W stock and 50W max?
I'd be looking close to 100W on stock and over if overclocked.

Also for the RTX 3080 power draw is significant, here:

Take a look at the peak power consumption:

04-Peak-Power.png

With peaks north of 400W I'll VERY STRONGLY recommend changing that S12II as it's rather a low quality unit built on an older platform. Great transient recovery time is crucial on this one I'm afraid.

Pairing a high end GPU like the RTX 3080 with a budget PSU is always a bad idea.

750W from a high quality PSU should be enough such as:

Corsair: RMx or TXM
Seasonic: Focus GX/GM, Prime
EVGA: SuperNOVA G2,G3
SuperFlower: Leadex II/III

Last edited:

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019

04-Peak-Power.png

With peaks north of 400W I'll VERY STRONGLY recommend changing that S12II as it's rather a low quality unit built on an older platform. Great transient recovery time is crucial on this one I'm afraid.

Pairing a high end GPU like the RTX 3080 with a budget PSU is always a bad idea.

So it is 50W base, and an extra 25W-50W total on a heavy workload. My mistake.

Reactions: julienruc
Sep 15, 2020

04-Peak-Power.png

So to get this straight, the momentarily GPU goes almost 200W over its rated power usage? Holy hell. Is 750W actually sufficient in this scenario or would he be better served by an 850W PSU?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
You really can't go wrong with any of them. The Seasonic has 10 year warranty, and the Corsair has 7.I believe the Super Flower is also 7, so technically the FOCUS wins on warranty.

But I'd probably just opt for the Leadex if not if it is indeed still 7 year warranty and $25 cheaper.

javi.sau.96

Prominent
Dec 30, 2018
Sorry, are these fine?
  • TXM Gold 850W @ 149$
  • Focus Gold 850W @ 134$
  • Leadex III Gold 850W @ 121$
Note: I have a preference for the Super Flower and Corsair as they have service centers in Indonesia. But the Seasonic is more than fine as well.
All Super Flower stuff is "great" for the market they are focused to. I'd go Super Flower and is also the cheapest

Hi guys, I would just like to reopen this thread momentarily. It turns out I never got my RTX 3080 as the retailer sold more units than they received and I was further down the list. I finally got my hands on a 3080 card and it's arriving in the mail tomorrow.

The PSU issue is slightly problematic though. There is no stock for all 3 of the units I mentioned. Alternatively, I did find the ARGB version of the Leadex III 850 Gold. I am not a fan of the RGB and hope that I will be able to turn it off.

More importantly, is it as good as the standard Leadex III 850 Gold?

Hi guys, I would just like to reopen this thread momentarily. It turns out I never got my RTX 3080 as the retailer sold more units than they received and I was further down the list. I finally got my hands on a 3080 card and it's arriving in the mail tomorrow.

The PSU issue is slightly problematic though. There is no stock for all 3 of the units I mentioned. Alternatively, I did find the ARGB version of the Leadex III 850 Gold. I am not a fan of the RGB and hope that I will be able to turn it off.

More importantly, is it as good as the standard Leadex III 850 Gold?
Super Flower website states the aRBG button switches a to different color mode each time it's pushed, up to 16 different modes, but there's no mention of turning it off. Perhaps one of the modes is off, just guessing. It's the same as the standard with aRGB added at extra cost.
https://www.super-flower.com.tw/product-data.php?productID=96&lang=en