Do I need a sound card or my Mobo is good enough?

reach231

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016
Hey guys I am debating whether or not to get a sound card for music and gaming. I am using a Sennheiser HD 598. I will be using this mobo for my build https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z170apro , can you guys tell me if this mobo ( who ever has owned this type of mobo) Has virtual surround sound in it. Also Should I get a sound card if im using an HD 598 for gaming and music (a bit of an audiophile person) or is my mobo good enough?

Thank you guys for taking your time reading this and hope you have a great day/night!

Solution
if you are an audiophile the question has been answered, get a proper audio card. those are good headphones and any distortion will be reproduced faithfully right next to your ear. creative has never let me down I still have my audigy gamer card. unless the motherboard has dedicated audio hardware, this one does not, you will be better served with an add in card.

the motherboard has a Realtek audio codec.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
if you are an audiophile the question has been answered, get a proper audio card. those are good headphones and any distortion will be reproduced faithfully right next to your ear. creative has never let me down I still have my audigy gamer card. unless the motherboard has dedicated audio hardware, this one does not, you will be better served with an add in card.

the motherboard has a Realtek audio codec.

Solution
I don't think a sound card is needed this MSI model is designed for improved audio experience. I think for 95% the audio will be good. 3% will get a separate sound card. and 2% will not be happy no mater what.

You can always add a sound card later if you are not happy with the motherboard audio.