Question Do I need a sound card ?

Mar 24, 2024
Hello, everyone.
I want to ask for your advice. I don't know much about sound and devices related to it.

I have a desktop PC. Here is the configuration:
MotherboardAsus TUF Gaming B550-PRO
CPUAMD Ryzen 9 5900x
RAM2x16 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz CL16 (CMK32GX4M2B3200C16)
SSD 1Samsung SSD 990 Pro with Heatsink 4 Tb
SSD 2Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1 Tb
GPUAsus ROG Strix RTX 3080 Ti
Power SupplyFSP Hydro Ti Pro 1000W

As for the sound, I use it most of the time for work calls. Sometimes I use it for games and chatting with friends. I watch movies of high quality quite often.
My main headset is HyperX Cloud Alpha, and I also have a Sony WH-1000XM5.

Now I don't use any sound device and the headsets are connected directly to the PC. I find the HyperX Cloud Alpha a bit quiet. Also, one person complained that he could hardly hear me.

Do you think I should consider buying a sound card or some other device? If so, which one (I have a budget of 300 euros)?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Searching around seems HyperX Cloud Alpha can be lacking without an equaliser. Below Reddit post regarding APO equaliser.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HyperX/s/84AblNw3AB

Do you have Realtek Audio Console installed? I think it should have additional settings to do with microphone. It also has an equaliser and headphone modes in DTS Custom. Try get Realtek Audio Console and DTS Custom working first before trying Apo equaliser.

If having trouble running Realtek Audio Console and DTS Custom or they haven't been installed see below instructions. I believe the section associated with your board with DTS Custom is the last one under - Realtek Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS TUF/PRIME DTS Custom)

https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/downl...4xx-5xx-6xx-8xx-amp-intel-2xx-3xx/td-p/819057

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Since BOTH earphone output and mic volumes (according to video call friends) are too low, I agree with looking at the Volume settings for BOTH those items. Also check the in-line volume controls.

BUT there is another IMPORTANT item to look at that you may not be aware of. I see from the headset web page that the jack on its cable has FOUR contacts on it - Tip, Ring1, Ring2 and Sleeve - known as TRRS. This is common in high-quality headsets. But that does NOT work properly with the normal sockets on a computer. Those sockets are designed for use with the other common type called TRS with only THREE contacts on the jack. In that system the jacks for the earphones and the mic of the headset are on separate cables. They plug into BOTH front or rear socket sets - typically Green for stereo earphones, and Pink for Mic. So, to get YOUR headset to connect properly with your computer's TWO sockets you need an adapter like this

https://www.amazon.com/MillSO-Headp...73479&sprefix=TRRS+Adapter,aps,97&sr=8-9&th=1

NOTE that the socket of this accepts your single TRRS jack and converts it to two TRS jacks. Do not get the "reverse" version of this that converts the other way.

Reactions: Locko

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Since BOTH earphone output and mic volumes (according to video call friends) are too low, I agree with looking at the Volume settings for BOTH those items. Also check the in-line volume controls.

BUT there is another IMPORTANT item to look at that you may not be aware of. I see from the headset web page that the jack on its cable has FOUR contacts on it - Tip, Ring1, Ring2 and Sleeve - known as TRRS. This is common in high-quality headsets. But that does NOT work properly with the normal sockets on a computer. Those sockets are designed for use with the other common type called TRS with only THREE contacts on the jack. In that system the jacks for the earphones and the mic of the headset are on separate cables. They plug into BOTH front or rear socket sets - typically Green for stereo earphones, and Pink for Mic. So, to get YOUR headset to connect properly with your computer's TWO sockets you need an adapter like this

https://www.amazon.com/MillSO-Headphone-Splitter-Computer-Headset/dp/B071NDLCGC/ref=sr_1_9?crid=XP97AZ076ZZG&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Rd_11TbBuYoaWET9szCRNz6gu6q6zoPWXGWI-UDl52iEOhE1T2anwDwx6IPT6xko26dnmZztpdcC86nfnp-VDwqYjZaB7q5hff9zACJQtm4u_FGrlKa4Rd8_Ejfrh8vIfzEJPNNqyTvMM7bgLg5hY8idUkG8fTtcvGPh8v92-p5qWntZXOM5ib35NKsDu0TIabkygZYwVJqtekk5gsKtjy9k1iFAn01NnwvLuFUD05A.mtjgp08T7-I7H-7qN5asPKR-dohoU5J00h21a-M5rhA&dib_tag=se&keywords=trrs+adapter+3.5mm&qid=1720973479&sprefix=TRRS+Adapter,aps,97&sr=8-9&th=1

NOTE that the socket of this accepts your single TRRS jack and converts it to two TRS jacks. Do not get the "reverse" version of this that converts the other way.

Headset has separate mic/stereo inputs to pc, the extension to headphones has the additional 3 ring.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
In re-examining the web page I see that this headset comes with the adapter I spoke of, according to the photos. But OP needs to use it! The photos show a detachable TRRS cable with MALE plugs on both ends that includes the in-line volume controls. Presumably this must be used in all cases. Then there is a SECOND cable with a FEMALE TRRS socket on one end, and a pair of TRS jacks on the other. For use with a common PC one must use this cable, too, to connect between the first cable and the computer's two TRS sockets.

Reactions: Locko
Mar 24, 2024
After going through all the steps specified in boju's answer, I certainly got a working equalizer. Thank you

However, when I connect the headset through a splitter (I connect it to the front audio inputs), I get such a deaf microphone that my interlocutors do not hear me at all. Here is a picture of the maximum volume level I was able to achieve in Discord, and I had to shout into the microphone.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zvJJBhG8mSrpCpBMJ3nACfs8PFxIhC8M/view?usp=sharing

I am sure that the problem is not in the Discrod settings, because I borrowed an external hyperx amp sound card from a friend.
hyperx_amp_usb_sound_card_1_main_1944x.jpg

And when the headphones are connected through it, the people I'm talking to hear me very well.

So, it looks like I need a sound card