[SOLVED] Do I need AMP/DAC for Realtek ALC887-VD?

NadNart

Reputable
Dec 20, 2016
I have an Asus b85m-e/csm motherboard that uses onboard audio Realtek ALC887-VD.

When looking for headphones, how high of the impedance of ohms do I start looking at AMP/DAC for my headphone?

Do I need one if the headphone have 50 ohms?

What about headphones with 150 ohms like HD 58X, do I need one?

Thanks!

Solution
D
I don't see any amp/DAC deals at Massdrop right now. Their O2/SDAC for $150 is a great value but it's not active.

If you wanted to step up a bit from the E10K ( which will be fine with the 58X ) you could look at a DAC like the Topping D10 and an amp like the JDS Labs Atom or the Monoprice Liquid Spark or one of the Geshelli Labs options.

If you wanted to do some comparisons here's a link to some of the best reviews online.

D

Deleted member 217926

Don't see any kind of integrated headphone amp on that board. The 58X isn't particularly hard to drive but I'd recommend at least a lower powered amp for them.

Total budget? Music, gaming or both? What kind of music?

Reactions: NadNart and Lutfij

NadNart

Reputable
Dec 20, 2016
Thank you for the answers!
Don't see any kind of integrated headphone amp on that board. The 58X isn't particularly hard to drive but I'd recommend at least a lower powered amp for them.

Total budget? Music, gaming or both? What kind of music?

For budget wise, I prefer an amp/dac enough to drive 150 ohms, do not want to spend a lot on it. I am looking at e10k or K3. What do you suggest?

For usage, it would be everything, listening to many genres of music, gaming, and streaming shows/movies on Netflix.

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 217926

I don't see any amp/DAC deals at Massdrop right now. Their O2/SDAC for $150 is a great value but it's not active.

If you wanted to step up a bit from the E10K ( which will be fine with the 58X ) you could look at a DAC like the Topping D10 and an amp like the JDS Labs Atom or the Monoprice Liquid Spark or one of the Geshelli Labs options.

If you wanted to do some comparisons here's a link to some of the best reviews online.

Reactions: NadNart
Solution

NadNart

Reputable
Dec 20, 2016

Thanks for the very detailed information. Helps a lot, appreciated!