Question Do I need anything beyond Windows Defender?

Dimitri001

Honorable
Oct 11, 2019
Can I simply rely on Windows Defender or would it be better to install something different (bearing in mind I'm set on going with something free)?

Ralston18

Titan
Windows Defender/Security - that is all I use.

From time to time I have used Malwarebytes to double check if something is amiss.

However, "amiss" is forturnately a rare occurrence simply because, as is often stated in this forum, the best defense is between your ears.

I pay close attention to websites, links to click, etc.. Most being simply garbage clickbait.

Most problems that I encounter are related to User Guide/Manual searches. Especially older devices and components.

Some links that pop up with, for example, "manuals" in the URL - are automatic "no go".

And care is still needed - even if the manufacturer's name is in the pathname that does not mean that the source is the actual manufacturer's website.

= = = =

Also, I would be remiss if I did not mention or ask about backups.

You do have all important data backed up at least 2 x to locations away from the host computer.

With the backups proven to be recoverable and readable - correct?

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Reactions: Rokinamerica
Mar 27, 2024
I think if you are careful about malware, phishing, scams, etc., Windows defender already has a top rating. Using it along with browser extensions like MalwareByte guard/uBlock origin would probably make it better.

I used Avast free and Bitdefender free before. Even if they seem to have some edge on detecting new malware and has more modules for detection, they did use more memory for me, and Bitdefender seems to have large updates making me wonder about SSD wears.

OTH, if I had a riskier profile (like have to follow questionable links, download questionable files, share a computer with less security-aware people), some products would give you an edge in detecting new malware. Free might not give you much, however, since paid products also offer more advanced malware/ransomware protections.