Do I need the backplate

Defined tK

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Hello I am mounting my water cooling system in my pc that I have air cooled for 2 years. Please keep in mind I have never build a pc. I know I need to put the backplate behind the motherboard which would require the removal of the motherboard however I can already screw into something. Is that a backplate that's already installed? If so should I use that one if it fits or should I install the new one.

Orias

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
I am not sure I fully understand your question, but to answer the "do I need the backplate" part ... I've run my PC for a couple of years without a back-plate now and I haven't had any real issues. You will get a bit more dust and general dirt in there, but a regular clean/blow-out should do the job.

Obviously it's always preferable to have the back-plate there as extra dust inside the case = extra heat build up which is never good. But I run a 3.4ghz CPU at 4.7ghz, air-cooled, and it's never stumbled once! Basically, I built the PC and forgot the back-plate. I was too tired and frustrated to take everything back out again, so I just left it like that, and it's been that way ever-since.

Cheers, Orias

Defined tK

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Well I just figured out the fan won't fit so I'm out of luck for now :p but still for next time. How do I tell if I already have a backplate installed. Is there a difference between them?

Krishna Moorthy

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

me too i cant understand what is going on xD but i think it has something to do with watercooling his cpu

Defined tK

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Everyone's telling me I need to put this thing called the backplate behind my CPU that means behind my motherboard. The backplate stick through to the front side and I screw into it. However I already screw into what may be another back plate that was installed for the other CPU fan. Basically my question is should I take out my motherboard and install the backplate that came with my cooler or screw into whatever's already there

wehler53

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
What type of socket do you have? From my understanding you just need to find a water block that is compatible to your socket and it'll just screw straight in the same as your air cooler?

Also I'm new to the forum how do you quote/reply to people's answers?

wehler53

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
Also if you are ONLY cooling the CPU then your best off going with a closed loop circuit, all you have to do is screw it in and plug in the fans (make sure you have the available fan sockets on the mother board) and your away. Check out the Thermaltake 3.0 performer or extreme or check out corsair's range!

Krishna Moorthy

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

Go to the comment you want to quote and hit reply to "persons name"