[SOLVED] Do i need to do anything before rebuilding my pc?

Jasper kihn

Prominent
Oct 21, 2019
I want to rebuild my pc because of my terrible cable management but i wont be removing any components only cables should i do anything before starting?

Solution
I did a CPU+MoBo+RAM swap and didn't need to do anything special. Just removed everything that needed to be removed for the swap, put everything back in, tidied up cables, booted the system, let Windows 10 do its hardware setup thing on first boot when it realized that a bunch of hardware had changed, done. Surprisingly painless. Everything was working flawlessly until I tried clean-installing on my NVMe SSD and tried importing data from my old SSD. Something got screwed with permissions somewhere along the process and a bunch of built-in apps like the notification bar and calendar quit working.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
I want to rebuild my pc because of my terrible cable management but i wont be removing any components only cables should i do anything before starting?
i would suggest taking few pictures of where they all plug into just incase you forget. have a good look at your connectors and headers before you plug anything in. seen a few people plugging in wrong headers.

hope this helps

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
but i don’t need to back anything up?
if all you are doing is unplugging components and plugging them back in then i dont see why you need to do a back up.

few months ago, i made my cable look nicer and i didnt do any back up.

but in few days i am changing my mobo so i will need to do a back up as that requires a full install of windows.

InvalidError

Titan
I did a CPU+MoBo+RAM swap and didn't need to do anything special. Just removed everything that needed to be removed for the swap, put everything back in, tidied up cables, booted the system, let Windows 10 do its hardware setup thing on first boot when it realized that a bunch of hardware had changed, done. Surprisingly painless. Everything was working flawlessly until I tried clean-installing on my NVMe SSD and tried importing data from my old SSD. Something got screwed with permissions somewhere along the process and a bunch of built-in apps like the notification bar and calendar quit working.

Solution