Do I need to do anything when upgrading my cpu

aidanopitz

Honorable
Dec 30, 2017
I’m currently upgrading my cpu, and I’m wondering if there’s any steps I need to do before I put it in. Would I be able to just replace it and not need to do anything ? I know about adding thermal compound, but is that all I need to do ?

Graphics card: GTX 1050
Current cpu: Intel pentium G4560
Motherboard: MSI B250M PRO-VD
Ram: 8gb ddr4
Upragding cpu to; Intel i7

Solution

I'm not familiar with modern Intel systems but I think the smart thing to do would be to completely reset CMOS after shutting down just prior to the CPU swap. Probably the 'battery pull' method would offer greatest assurance that the next boot will be just like a 'first boot'.

But before even that, update to the latest BIOS rev.

I'm not familiar with modern Intel systems but I think the smart thing to do would be to completely reset CMOS after shutting down just prior to the CPU swap. Probably the 'battery pull' method would offer greatest assurance that the next boot will be just like a 'first boot'.

But before even that, update to the latest BIOS rev.

Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
TBH other than the install, Win 10 will typically auto update your driver.
I had an issue on (a couple of) machines where the power scaling and turbo didn't work right until I actually did a fresh re-install. I had swapped the i3 and i5 to each others build mobo and it wasn't happy until doing so.