[SOLVED] Do I need to overclock my i9-9900k in order for 3200mhz ram to work properly?

Oct 17, 2020
EVGA 3090
I9-9900k
Rm1000x PSU
32gb ddr4 ram (3200mhz xmp 1)

I recently overclocked my ram and ran memtest to ensure stability. Four passes and no errors. I looked into overclocking my i9 but haven’t done so yet because I’m a tad confused by the process (I’ll get to it eventually)

but my question is whether or not my ram will work sufficiently without overclocking my i9-9900k… The weird part is that intel states their cpu supports up to 2666 MHz yet I’ve heard from others that your ram can still reach higher speeds with this cpu. Can anyone enlighten me on this. Do I need to overclock my cpu to enjoy my ram oc? Should I put ram oc back to default until I upgrade my cpu?

Solution
EVGA 3090
I9-9900k
Rm1000x PSU

I recently overclocked my ram and ran memtest to ensure stability. Four passes and no errors. I looked into overclocking my i9 but haven’t done so yet because I’m a tad confused by the process (I’ll get to it eventually)

but my question is whether or not my ram will work sufficiently without overclocking my i9-9900k… The weird part is that intel states their cpu supports up to 2666 MHz yet I’ve heard from others that your ram can still reach higher speeds with this cpu. Can anyone enlighten me on this. Do I need to overclock my cpu to enjoy my ram oc? Should I put ram oc back to default until I upgrade my cpu?

As your testing for stability you should stress test...
What speed are you getting in CPU-Z or HWInfo? If you have XMP enabled. It should work at 3200Mhz. The memory overclock (XMP) is separate from the CPU overclock.

While the CPU may be rated for 2666Mhz RAM. The motherboard can allow the RAM to overclock to higher speeds. Most halfway decent motherboards do. Any Z series board should allow RAM overlocking.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
If your RAM is 3200 Mhz XMP 1. You can just use XMP profile, and then your CPU will not be overclocked, but your RAM is.

Technically, XMP profiles provide an easy way to RAM speed upgrade, and it is still overclocking.

Oct 17, 2020
What speed are you getting in CPU-Z or HWInfo? If you have XMP enabled. It should work at 3200Mhz. The memory overclock (XMP) is separate from the CPU overclock.

While the CPU may be rated for 2666Mhz RAM. The motherboard can allow the RAM to overclock to higher speeds. Most halfway decent motherboards do. Any Z series board should allow RAM overlocking.

I do have HWINFO64 and although I'm used to GPU core temp/vram temp readings, I'm not very familiar with anything else so I'll just leave a link for pics below. If you could tell me if anything looks off, I'd appreciate it! I'm trying to find tutorial videos on how to understand HWINFO64 readings but haven't been having much luck. I may try each component at a time in search to see if that helps. Other than that like I said, I'm not very good at understanding what all the info/numbers mean...I'll be honest.

View: https://imgur.com/a/h7Kw6qA

Last edited:
EVGA 3090
I9-9900k
Rm1000x PSU

As your testing for stability you should stress test using Aida64 for 20mins and test with check boxes for CPU,FPU and Cache, This will see if your stable under load and to check your rail voltages. The graphs you lnk show the system at idle however the CPU needs to be at 100% utilization.
As for RAM your CPU (as the specs show) officially supports up to 2666MHz so it depends on the processors IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) if you can reach the rated frequency of 3200Mhz and remain stable. The i9-9900k does scale well from most indicators.
You don't need to Overclock your CPU to have good RAM performance. If the XMP profile is working and stable then leave it alone, When and if you upgrade your CPU you will just need to clear CMOS and update your Bios and chipset.

Lets see your stress test results first at stock.

Solution

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
I do have HWINFO64 and although I'm used to GPU core temp/vram temp readings, I'm not very familiar with anything else so I'll just leave a link for pics below. If you could tell me if anything looks off, I'd appreciate it! I'm trying to find tutorial videos on how to understand HWINFO64 readings but haven't been having much luck. I may try each component at a time in search to see if that helps. Other than that like I said, I'm not very good at understanding what all the info/numbers mean...I'll be honest.

View: https://imgur.com/a/h7Kw6qA
Your RAM is running in 3200 Mhz using the XMP profile. If this is what you are asking.

Oct 17, 2020
As your testing for stability you should stress test using Aida64 for 20mins and test with check boxes for CPU,FPU and Cache, This will see if your stable under load and to check your rail voltages. The graphs you lnk show the system at idle however the CPU needs to be at 100% utilization.
As for RAM your CPU (as the specs show) officially supports up to 2666MHz so it depends on the processors IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) if you can reach the rated frequency of 3200Mhz and remain stable. The i9-9900k does scale well from most indicators.
You don't need to Overclock your CPU to have good RAM performance. If the XMP profile is working and stable then leave it alone, When and if you upgrade your CPU you will just need to clear CMOS and update your Bios and chipset.

Lets see your stress test results first at stock.
Here are the results of that Aida64 Extreme test. View: https://imgur.com/a/QESREZL

View: https://imgur.com/a/Cucu9Pi

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021
. Im guessing you might have some bios auto OC settings on already, just guessing by some of the voltages and that your having it all core idle at 5.0 . But judging off your thermals you have a decent bit of headroom to turn it up a little. Theres a lot of pretty comprehensive guide on OC with the i9-9900k so just find one and follow along. And make sure to go into windows power setting and change it off power saver. Reallly all you need to to is crank the pl1 and pl2 to the top and the pl1 time as well and same with the icc max and just keep an eye on voltages unless you want a constant all core OC. But it gets complicated and I don't wanna type a novel or pretend I know what I'm talking about so follow some of the many guides out there. MSI even put one out.