[SOLVED] Do I need to reinstall all games when reinstalling OS

MINIRED

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2016
Hi! Just a quick question, i'll be reinstalling windows 10 tonight via usb, (due to AI suite 3) however the majority of my games are on other drives, do I need to format those drives too? I get the games will run off those drives, just not sure if ill lose performance not reinstalling the games themselves?

Solution
Same windows type, nothing changed on that end, and there will be no performance in games right? Like when you need to install software after a platform change?
The game content is handled by the overall game client. Steam, Origin, etc.

This is one of the benefits of having your games installed on different physical drives - No reinstall needed, apart from the game client.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi! Just a quick question, i'll be reinstalling windows 10 tonight via usb, (due to AI suite 3) however the majority of my games are on other drives, do I need to format those drives too? I get the games will run off those drives, just not sure if ill lose performance not reinstalling the games themselves?
Steam games?
You do not need to reinstall those.
You DO need to reinstall the Steam client with your new OS.

Then, you can tell the new Steam client where those games are.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Unless your drives are encrypted to you system via os apps then there should be no need to reinstall any of them, you may just need to reverify certain game files as long as you aren't changing the windows copy you are using. So if windows 10 home 64bit has to be windows 10 home 64bit not pro 64bit or same thing but 32bit. In this case some games will require a reinstall

MINIRED

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2016
Steam games?
You do not need to reinstall those.
You DO need to reinstall the Steam client with your new OS.

Then, you can tell the new Steam client where those games are.
Same with all game applications for the most part and the ones that won't have to reinstall, "will have to reverify system specs and standard processing

Same windows type, nothing changed on that end, and there will be no performance in games right? Like when you need to install software after a platform change?

A little lost on what you mean here if you mean there shouldn't be any loss in gaming experience then yes you are right everything should be the same in the end or actually better with less tasks being ran on a fresh system

USAFRet

Titan
The game content is handled by the overall game client. Steam, Origin, etc.

This is one of the benefits of having your games installed on different physical drives - No reinstall needed, apart from the game client.

Solution