[SOLVED] Do I need to switch motherboard out when changing graphics card?

UnstopableAj101

Honorable
Jul 4, 2016
I have just got an old pc from my friend that has a gt630 inside of it I would like to swap that out with a 1060 or 1050ti because this card is so old I was wondering if I would need to change the motherboard to switch this out.

Solution
No.
all motherboards since forever have used the PCIe connection for GPU. It's a universal standard slot.
While it has been upgraded over the years to support more speeds of data transfer, PCIe 2.0 has been around for a very long time so at the very least it will support that and you just need to pop in the new card and it will work as it should.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
No.
all motherboards since forever have used the PCIe connection for GPU. It's a universal standard slot.
While it has been upgraded over the years to support more speeds of data transfer, PCIe 2.0 has been around for a very long time so at the very least it will support that and you just need to pop in the new card and it will work as it should.

Solution
Jan 30, 2019

lol i remember the old isa pci and agp video cards still got a couple of agp motherboards still and im not an immortal so saying since forever is a bit of an understatement mayby in last 10 yrs they have had pci-e still got people using the old agps for certian things