Do I need to upgrade to 144hz

pjo71099

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
So I'm looking to buy my first monitor (for my first gaming PC). I'm weighing up the difference between 120hz and 60hz monitors. I REALLY need to save as much money and while I hear there is a difference between 60fps and 120fps it's apparently quite small. I don't really want to play games competitively (e.g. first person shooters) so would I be better and richer off just buying a 60hz monitor?

Thanks in advance

MuchResearch

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

If you wont be running many games over 60fps then the high refresh rate will go to waste a lot of the time. 60hz is good enough for most people, some may not even notice a difference. Also, if you went for 60hz, you could probably invest the money you would have otherwise spent on the higher refresh rate on a product with better picture quality, or even a second monitor. Just my 2 cents on the subject, some will disagree and say 60hz is dead and they couldn't ever go back after using a 120-144hz display.

pjo71099

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014

I'll be using an overclocked hex 970 if that helps?

MuchResearch

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

It still depends on FPS and the game. If you aren't much for twitch shooters and play more MMORPG/Adventure/Single Player/Strategy games, and ones like them I'd go for a nice IPS. You will have much better colors/contrast and visuals than a TN monitor can produce. Try to find one with minimal blurring issues tho, ips panels are known for having more tearing and movement blur. Still someone would disagree that TN only improves twitch shooters with its refresh rates, so I'd wait for someone to argue the opposition so you can see both sides, and have a better idea.

My ideal monitor is an ultra widescreen IPS with great color accuracy and high pixel density. I can admit I'm probably a bit biased towards TN panels.

MuchResearch

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

Pretty much, I'm still deciding for myself as well...... I really do love my colors and picture quality, but the smoother experience with TN panels seems nice too. I'm currently on a vizio 32" tv so I'm sure w.e I pick will be an upgrade but its still a tough choice. I'm a gamer, but also do illustration. I'm so torn between these choices. I've been trying to find something in-between the two options, but that doesn't seem to exist lol.

If you can go to a local store and test drive a high refresh rate monitor and an IPS it may help you decide. Its a lot easier to make a choice when you see their performance in person rather than reading about it.

MuchResearch

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

With the improved response time compared to a HDTV that I assume your gaming on with a console it should feel much smoother regardless of refresh rate. Most HDTVs run at 60hz, but their response time/input lag is far from ideal. An IPS with a low response time/input lag would be a pretty huge improvement over console gaming on a television.