[SOLVED] Do I really need to update Bios going from i5 4670k to 4790k?

PlayerType

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
I am thinking about upgrading my CPU from i5 4670k to 4790k. I have Maximus VI hero, its current version is 1002. According to Asus's website, I need 1503 version for i7 4790k.

I really dont want to flash my bios because of the risk. Can i just switch CPU without updating bios? What will happens if I dont update bios?

Ivan96

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
If you do that i7 probably won't work at all or if you manage to boot you will have stability issues and other problems but i'm 99% sure that you won't even be able to boot.
So your best bet is to install newest BIOS.
Nothing bad will happen if you do it right and make sure to have stable electricity because if you lose electricity your update will fail.
I have done dozens of BIOS updates on multiple motherboards and never had a problem.

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
1. Yes.

2. If you don't update your BIOS, new CPU won't work.

I own a VI Hero too and using latest BIOS. BIOS upgrade procedure is painless and super ez. Updated my BIOS through the special port with USB stick. Read manual.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
That is a very early BIOS, so yes you will likely have to update it to support the 4790k.

If you follow your manuals instructions to the letter and the area you live in is not prone to power outages there is very little risk. Page 3-54 onward. That board has ASUS Crash Free so it's very unlikely you will brick it even if you screw up the BIOS update, that board can flash a BIOS without even POSTing.

TRENDING THREADS