Question Do I upgrade my card?

Sep 10, 2019
PC Specs
Mobo - ASRock Z97 Extreme4 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU - Intel Core i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50 GHz
CPUFan - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
GPU - MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G Graphics Cards GTX 970 GAMING 4G
RAM - G.Skill Ares Series 8Gb (2 X 4Gb) 240-Pin Sdram Ddr3 1866 (Pc3 14900) Desktop Memory F3-1866C9D-8Gab
Storage - Crucial MX100 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) CT512MX100SSD1 + WDBlue 1TB
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1 120-G1-0650-XR 80+ GOLD 650W

I built my rig back in 2014-2015 and I haven't minded having to slowly downgrade it's settings in games but today I have reached the annoyance/worry point. My main game of choice is Overwatch and with all the settings on low with my new monitor at 144hz the temperature stays at a toasty 79-80 degrees Celsius. I noticed this about a month ago when I was getting some noticeable screen tearing and frame drops before the PC just shut itself off. So I moved my rig to my air conditioner and deep cleaned it hoping that would help some. No luck but using MSI Afterburner helps keep the temp stable at 80 instead of continually climbing until it shuts down (I only tried twice for testing before I feared for my PC health) So I turn to the wonderful community here asking if upgrading my GPU should be my next project or is there something about my build that stands out that I should work on first? I play a variety of games here and there but Overwatch is the game I play every day for multiple hours unless I'm running my Oculus Rift headset and having fun with VR. If I should upgrade the card what ones should I be looking to purchase? I'd prefer to be in the $500-700 range but I can save for a bit if I need to if it's going to be a noticeable upgrade. I have no real preference for parts manufacturers at this point or preference on where to get them though I am more familiar with Newegg as it's where I got the bulk of my last builds parts. I live in the United States to help prevent any compatibility issues. I'm currently running a 1920x1080 resolution and 1280x720 in game when most of these issues are happening. I can run nearly everything on Ultra when playing Starcraft 2 so I'm wondering if my computer can handle more or not. I could be just babying my computer too much since it's my first one and paranoid about the temperature; there could be nothing to worry about but I figured I'd ask and see what people thought! Here's hoping all are well and thanks for any advice!

Sep 10, 2019
Okay I'll look into ordering one after I get my next paycheck! Thanks for the advice! Which card do you think needs the thermal paste reapplied? If you're talking about on the motherboard itself where the processor attaches I can do that once I get some rubbing alcohol to safely remove the old paste and apply the new paste.