Do-It-Yourself: Upgrading Apple's 27" iMac With An SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
^^
I will start the hate amuffin :)

Phew! I'm glad the sheeple will save $200+. It is unlikely that a majority of Apple owners would be able to do this. Hell I bet they aren't even willing (besides voiding the warranty). I think they have this belief if apple does the upgrade it will be "better".

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I don't own a mac, but I was always curious of how to do this. I thought most of the hardware was soldered on, I didn't know parts were interchangeable. Good article.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]manu 11[/nom]Moral of the day, apple seriously rips you. Your own assembled pc is 100000x better and stronger than the imac thing.[/citation]

Yeah, because you can assemble your own all-in-one PC... oh wait... you can't.

Comparing a normal PC in a tower case to an all-in-one is like comparing it to a laptop. Completely different form-factor.

Apple hardware upgrade prices are a joke though...

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
It's an interesting decision to use black pcb in a never meant to be opened case... Looking at how annoying it is to be serviced, it seems it's just not worth it to buy a factory mac... Just get a hackintosh for god sake.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
apple needs to fit the design flaw of there being a glass shield for the screen.

that one design flaw requires me to run a air filter for 3 hours before taking the system, then having to work on the system almost completely naked just to keep dust from getting in between the glass and the LCD

G

@Razor512 ... and then you realize that dust is mostly made from dead human skin and you just got naked during a standard PC upgrade for no apparent reason.

uruquiora

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
it's not likely that a lot of people will do that, especially cos it probably wipes out any warranty...
And don't Apple lovers love to be ripped off anyway ??

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Pity, I have the 21.5".
Just got it too, want to stick my old OCZ drive in there and 8GB of RAM.

And yes, I know my shit when it comes to computers.. The difference with me is I'm not biased any more.

andy_newton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Why keep the superdrive? Apple Superdrive is the pinnacle of stupidity throughout the era of personal computing.

You'd be better of replacing the HDD with a Hitachi 4TB and putting the SSD on the superdrive's slot with an adapter from MCEtech.com instead.

The superdrive (if you insist on having it anyway) can be put into a USB 2.0 enclosure and be stashed somewhere until you need it.

The best way is to partition the SSD into 3:

1) Mac OSX
2) HFS+ partition for Adobe's scratch & caches folder and/or for stuff you're using.
3) Windows 7 64 bit

And it is best to partition the 4TB HDD:
1) Scratch folder for your footages, libraries, render files, & etc
2) Archive of your older projects & Windows 7 Backup Image
3) Bootable Mac OSX Back Up partition

Or you can just wipe Mac OSX, install Windows 7 64bit, and just play crisis with the iMac

massprince

Honorable
May 11, 2012
i own a mac and a pc and you wont have to go through this hellacious process with a pc. Tom has too much time in his hands. Get a real life!

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]uruquiora[/nom]it's not likely that a lot of people will do that, especially cos it probably wipes out any warranty...And don't Apple lovers love to be ripped off anyway ??[/citation]
A co-worker on my team has been mulling this upgrade over for a long time. This is the kind of reason I went with the Mac Pro versus an an iMac. To me it rediculous that you'd have to go through all this just to save a couple of bucks. ...any system that's I can't simply change the hard drives in is a system I would not want.
The first thing I did on the very first day I got my Mac Pro was to put 2 OCZ Vertex 2 SSDs in it for RAID 0. They've been happily slicing through code every since.

As do I. Yes the new iMacs are good for those who believe a computer is just a decorative commodity (how'd ya like that phrase...de-cor-a-tive com-mod-ity ...just made that up ;) . ...and yes, the performance on the current models (outside of gaming) is very competitive. You just sacrifice a lot (and not just from your wallet) to go with an iMac. ...its not food that I'd recommend for the enthusiast.

iMac? ...maybe fur my mum.

G

Oh,they switched to black PCBs.Before 4 years when i've accembed those POS,all the PCBs were blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.