DO NOT INSTALL Service Pack 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
try to extract the driver files to a folder and do an update rather than an install. If still having problems.
Change display drivers to standard vga then do an update as mentioned above. I don't believe I need to explain the update method. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Yes, that is what SafeMode is used for, ironically it's not really "Safe", it enables you to do certain things that you normally won't do on Windows and any wrong thing you do in SafeMode could cause damage.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007

It should be pretty simple. First download your graphics card drivers from another computer and put them on a CD. Turn on your computer and immediately start hitting F8. This will get you to the safe mode options. Select run Windows in safe mode. It will do some loading stuff and will start up with the bare bones Windows safe mode. Then if you have picture then that means yes it is a driver issue and you can now insert your CD and install the latest graphics drivers. If you still dont have picture, then there is an issue with one of you startup windows dll files or something embedded into windows. If you have picture during start up processes your mobo drivers a good, its just a windows driver conflicting issue.

If you are continuing to have more and more trouble, you can always insert your windows CD, turn on computer and just re-install windows. This doesn't erase any personal files, it just re-installs all windows files. Be careful because it will actually move around or delete your desk top icons, but everything on your C: drive will not be touched.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Well since SP3 isnt out to public yet Via M$ you have a Beta or a pirated SP3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
update: well, turns out the issue had to do with my dual monitor setup. I unplugged one monitor from the vid card and she came back to life. I guess I have to redo the dual monitor setup everytime I unplug the system. Dualies were a whole lot easier with my old ATI card.

rfatcheric

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
SP3 isn't going to stop you from installing XP after reformatting....

If you had to try and reinstall 4 times you're most likely having some type of hardware issue.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
I've been a member of msdn for quite some time, 10 or more years. I bought vb6 and with that is a msdn disk. With msdn setup a registration and member service application is a choice. Also I am registered with Microsoft as an MCSD
Whenever MS has bata's I'm email of that.

I totally agree!

@Spitfire7, Beta is a testing software release not an official release!

Unless you are in the testing program itself, knowing full well what you're doing, you should stay far away from beta release software, especially one directly affecting your operating system, but too often people think they're getting ahead of the game, not realizing the consequences you could actually have to deal with.

If you're dumb enough to install unproven software on your machine, just because you can't wait for the official release, then reap your rewards or punishment man!

You did it to your own self!

But I do have to commend you on telling everyone here what you did and whats happened as a result of it, maybe you'll scare someone else away from installing it themselves!

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
i wonder if the OP knew that all he had to do was boot into safe mode, and goto:

control panel>add/remove programs> service pack 3 > uninstall

i had trouble with the first one, turned out to be my Nvidia IDE raid driver, a quick check of the logs under administrative tools told me it was the IDE raid driver....i uninstalled it since i dont need/use it and it is fine and dandy now.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
haven't had the need to uninstall works great for me would not change back to sp2. I've notice wiff xp3 the handshake request for http,tcp,udp are lessor and the acknowledgment do not send a request back. When I say lessor, I mean the (act) is acknowledge to the http server but the ads tcp and other crap the site contains, my computer does not send an act back to the ad server only the http server. with xp2 these request were sent to all computers.

emirwati

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Dear All

I tried to install SP3 yesterday 29.04.08 but it failed displaying an error referring to the kernel using some third party software, I cannot describe it exactly now. Nothing obvious occurred then. I think that as a result of the failed installation this morning 30.04.08 when I turned on the computer all my settings were gone. The desktop looks as if I just fresh installed XP. I tried to restore it to two points before SP3 without success.

Anyone can help? Where are all my settings?
Thanks.

rfewer

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2008
tell me about it!! It popped up in my tray to update and before i could see what it was the download began (stupid auto-updater). when i tried to Un-install it gave me trouble with simple programs like Magic Tune and even my MOUSE software, COME ON!! I couldn't even remove some of the redundant tray icons that appeared after way too many times trying to Un- and then RE-installing my drivers for my mouse, monitor and USB devices!! Speaking of extra icons, after removing SP3 for the final time (that's right, I actually tried 3 times, once with a tech-guy from Microsoft remotely using my PC) there were 3 ADD/REMOVE PROGRAM icons in Control Panel!!! Anyway, this all could have been prevented by changing your Automatic Update feature, START>CONTROL PANEL>AUTOMATIC UPDATES. Change the option from AUTOMATIC(recommended) which automatically downloads and installs updates, to the second option that automatically downloads updates but lets YOU choose when to install them. As for redundant Control Panel Icons (add/remove programs) just search appwiz in C:\ and remove any that say (2) or (3) after them. ie appwiz.cpl(2) and leave appwiz.cpl alone.
My recommendations would be NOT to install Service Pack 3 for a couple of months until they work the bugs out. And if you have, remove it if you can do it safely. I created a Restore Point prior to installation so i was lucky. There really doesn't seem to be many advantages to the new update anyway so don't sweat it. Sorry to Ramble but I wish somebody had posted such a comment for me before i updated!!

@rfewer This is a really old thread and FYI, if you're doing a clean from scratch install of XP, SP3 works just fine.

The official release problems have been addressed by MSFT, and are covered by the available updates after SP3 install, so continued SP3 fears should be over.

Most encountered problems anyway on existing running systems, and you may very well still get trouble updating and older bloated installation of XP, but a fresh install is a different story.

Past SP releases also worked best on fresh installs, so if you do a fresh install of XP and then install SP3 and apply the available Windows Updates afterwards, you shouldn't have any problems.

I've just installed on 2 machines one Intel and one AMD, and they're running great so SP3 will be just fine on a freshly installed XP SP2 machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.