Question Do Power Chord Specs Matter?

Oct 2, 2024
I need a replacement power chord for my PC. I have a Thermalright Toughpower GF A3 1050w PSU. I have written to Thermalright requesting a new chord, but they have not replied. I have search Amazon and Newegg but there are so many options. Do the specs matter when buying a new chord? I mean amps and volts of the chord? AWG, etc. Any suggestions where and what I can buy?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Thermlaright don't make PSU's...you meant Thermaltake and I hope you've sent an email to Thermaltake and not Thermalright.

All you need to do is buy the same set of cables that are meant for your exact PSU, instead of buying cables that seem to have the right connectors since not all PSU's have the same pinout. 17~18AWG is the gauge of wire in case you want to fabricate your own cables and have the right connectors in hand.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I need a replacement power chord for my PC. I have a Thermalright Toughpower GF A3 1050w PSU. I have written to Thermalright requesting a new chord, but they have not replied. I have search Amazon and Newegg but there are so many options. Do the specs matter when buying a new chord? I mean amps and volts of the chord? AWG, etc. Any suggestions where and what I can buy?

*Which* power cord? There are like a dozen cables that connect to this PSU, all of which transfer power from one location to another.

Oct 2, 2024
Yes, I meant Themaltake.

And I am talking about the AC power chord that plugs into the wall. I thought that would have been clear when I said "POWER" chord. All the other (CABLES) are not power chords, they are cables. I've never heard it called a PCIe chord? Or a SATA chord? You?

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
See if you can locate something with a gauge at 18 or lower, according to length, to go from the wall to the power supply. This absolutely does matter. It is a direct correlation between power hungry computers and such as using power tools on a long cord. You cannot run a circular saw on the same thin gauge wire that Christmas lights would be fine on.

In my own case I not only upgraded the outlet that my main battery backup is plugged into, but due to the layout constraints I selected large gauge wire plug strips and/or extension cords. I also upgraded the breaker for that one outlet. My home has a basement/crawl and quite opportune that the AC unit had to be replaced, and a new circuit ran where the old one was left in place and able to be repurposed.

Oct 2, 2024
See if you can locate something with a gauge at 18 or lower, according to length, to go from the wall to the power supply. This absolutely does matter. It is a direct correlation between power hungry computers and such as using power tools on a long cord. You cannot run a circular saw on the same thin gauge wire that Christmas lights would be fine on.

In my own case I not only upgraded the outlet that my main battery backup is plugged into, but due to the layout constraints I selected large gauge wire plug strips and/or extension cords. I also upgraded the breaker for that one outlet. My home has a basement/crawl and quite opportune that the AC unit had to be replaced, and a new circuit ran where the old one was left in place and able to be repurposed.
Thank you,

Most of the ones I have found on Amazon are 18 gauge, however they have amps and volts associated with them. Does that matter based on the PSU I am using? Would you know what amps and volts I should be looking for, for a 1050 watt PSU?

Oct 2, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Thermlaright don't make PSU's...you meant Thermaltake and I hope you've sent an email to Thermaltake and not Thermalright.

All you need to do is buy the same set of cables that are meant for your exact PSU, instead of buying cables that seem to have the right connectors since not all PSU's have the same pinout. 17~18AWG is the gauge of wire in case you want to fabricate your own cables and have the right connectors in hand.
Yes, lol, I meant Thermaltake. Been making that goof for years. I was referring to the AC power chord that plugs into the wall. Not the cables that connect to the mobo.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thank you,

Most of the ones I have found on Amazon are 18 gauge, however they have amps and volts associated with them. Does that matter based on the PSU I am using? Would you know what amps and volts I should be looking for, for a 1050 watt PSU?

Most homes in the US are going to be "120VAC15A" wall outlets. The 15A aspect is directly related to the breaker installed on most standard wall outlets and in relation to the gauges of Romex wire being run to them. Some will be 20A but that is often in relation to an expected large appliance installed for that breaker.

The label on the side of your power supply should spell out exactly what it is running and help with the decision towards an appropriate size.