Question Do SSD External Drives make as big of a difference for Games as Internal?

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
Just trying to get at the specifics.

For instance:
"I found a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO for $33. Good deal?"
No. Absolute scam.

"I found a 60GB KingScam for $33. Good deal?"
No. Absolute crap.

etc....

i totally get you, i just honestly only remember 3.0 and 60GB...and like i said i really cannot find it again

Nov 23, 2021
ty! yeah besides a large SSD as far as I know is expensive at least imo.
1TB ssd's are expensive but the ones under a terabyte aren't, I bought a new sealed 240GB kingston A400 SSD in August for $35 USD on Ebay to put in a CECHG-01 fat PS3, the drive still works fine (all my games are physical I don't buy digital games or DLC on consoles I use the system every day and the games I play are GTA 4 [story mode, both DLC's off the episodes from liberty city disc and multiplayer], GTA 5, GTA online, Skyrim, Fallout new Vegas ultimate edition, Watchdogs and sleeping dogs).

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Actually, USB 3.0 is pretty much as fast as you need for a decent SSD.

You get around 500MB/sec out of it, which, sure, isn’t the 2000MB/sec+ that you get out of a modern NVMe drive, but considering that we were all happily on 400-500mb/sec SATA-3 drives as little as 4 years ago, it’s certainly not bad.

Most games load in the same amount of time from a SATA-3 drive as they do from NVMe anyway, so you would probably not see much difference between internal and external in this case.

The real big differences between SSD and spinning rust plates are the 0ms seek times and IOPS rate. Those are going to be roughly the same on NVMe, SATA-3 or USB 3.

That said, a 60GB drive for $33 is a bad deal and you should not buy that.

TRENDING THREADS