Question Do USB-C controllers have a shorter path to the Graphics Card on newer systems?

Nov 1, 2023
Like the title. (this is a VR, Motherboard, and graphics card topic also)

For some reason, on the Quest headsets, Meta choose to use USB-C for the data Graphics transfer as well as charging of their newest headset.
The issue is, a lot of people built fast computers, but their systems are not new enough to have come with USB-C ports. If you add a pcie expansion card, you still need 18watts to charge the headset but Meta put NO port to charge the headset with external chargers. The VR Headsets no longer connect directly to the graphics card, and why nVidea and others are not putting USB-C on their cards is another subject.

My question is: if I build a new system today such as one of the MSI gaming, will these new motherboards be able to deliver smooth video with these USB-C Meta headset? I know USB-C is fast and delivers high wattage for charging. But with the setup they choose, it seems like the video signal from your graphics card now has to travel though the chip-set just to get to the USB-C controller. Other headsets such as Steam's Index VR still uses older direct hookups to the graphics card. I would think that would be the way to go. Transferring the video signal through a USB-C path that's not coming directly from the graphics card seems like Meta is doing something that's not made to be done at this stage in time.

I returned the Quest 3
My computer is older, but still fast. If they had direct HDMI, or DP hookups my issues would not be an issue.

Last edited:
I don't believe the Quest line actually sends video over the USB port in a classic sense. If it did it would have a DP over USB requirement which it does not have. It shouldn't matter where the USB port is located, but likely does need to be USB 3.0+ even though the requirements don't specify.

Nov 1, 2023
Yes, it does.There are two hookup options for the Quests ver2 and 3.
  • Direct link, which is via the USB-C option. and
  • AirLink, which sends the video as Wifi packets.
The location of the port is not the issue. It's the path distance and over-head to get post video from the display card to the USB-C controller and back into the headset without shudder/latency. AirLink is a cool option if you have Wifi6, (which I do). But even with that I still had lag. I guess you can play with the Wifi channels, but it's a bandaid.

With both options, the graphics card still does the complex processing, but then the post processed video signal is converted to packets and sent over the USB-C port. Or wifi packets if you use Air link. I hear nothing but complaints on their forms. People that have new systems with USB-C built in seem to be ok for the most part because (USB-C) is so fast and can provide over 200Watts of power to charge the unit. But Meta totally left out anyone who does not have a very new computer. If they had at least put a charging adapter on the side of the headset then I could just added a PCIe USB C card for the data transfer. Supposedly 5Gbps is all you need, but some have said you'll have better results if your PCI speeds are at least 10Gbps.

The entire thing is a joke. I dropped $700 with tax on a Quest 3 / 500Gb storage headset and ended up returning it because Meta has no solution for anyone that does not have a very new system. Yet my computer plays all my games extremely smooth. And I also sold it because all their games look like they are for 5 year olds and made in 1980. The headsets only have 8Gbs internal memory. This is separate from storage - which is 128 or 500) so as far as high poly count stuff like Unreal engine 5, good luck. VR is so bad ass, but the industry needs to catch up. With all the technology out, the gaming industry and VR manufactures are moving way too slow. There are very few graphics cards out there that have USB-C on them. I think Meta made a bad decision by going with USB-C rather than putting HDMI/DP and charging ports on the unit like most the other VR manufactures IMO. On a side note, I think the way they link worlds in their Meta Horizon zone is really cool. I'm just really disappointed. If I could find a PCIe 1X Gen USB-C card that puts out at least 18 watts I would get by for now. But if I can't run stuff on the PC, it's worthless to me.

Last edited:
To answer the question presented in the topic, it's a moot point at human perceptible time scales. The distance added only adds a few dozen microseconds extra of travel time. This is assuming the number of hops to get from Point A to B are the same.

I'd also argue the Quest wasn't primarily designed to be used as a VR unit for a computer. It happens to come with that feature, but it's primarily meant to be a standalone unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: thestryker
Nov 1, 2023
To answer the question presented in the topic, it's a moot point at human perceptible time scales. The distance added only adds a few dozen microseconds extra of travel time.
So I guess it doesn't matter assuming the other USB devices don't interfere with the data. Well maybe all the complaints have to do with something else. The cables seem to be very specific as far as which ones work and don't. All I know is that there are a ton, and I mean a ton of complaints from customers trying to get a smooth transfer. Some can't get it connected even on newer systems. I feel like I'm going to be dropping the extra money on a Valve Index.
I'd also argue the Quest wasn't primarily designed to be used as a VR unit for a computer. It happens to come with that feature, but it's primarily meant to be a standalone unit.
There is no doubt about that. It's only natural, Meta is in the business to sell games. The issue is that the unit only holds a charge with no connection for about 45 mins if you are lucky. And if you don't have a USB-C connector, you're not not going to keep it charged for much longer because anything less doesn't put out the power. Anything lower than USB-C puts out about 4.5W and the headset needs 18 W. Meta in all their brilliance left no options for anyone on a slightly older computer.
Even addon cards like this only put out 10W if you're lucky

But when you're Mark Zuckerberg, you can buy the latest and greatest system.

Last edited:
So I guess it doesn't matter assuming the other USB devices don't interfere with the data. Well maybe all the complaints have to do with something else. The cables seem to be very specific as far as which ones work and don't. All I know is that there are a ton, and I mean a ton of complaints from customers trying to get a smooth transfer. Some can't get it connected even on newer systems. I feel like I'm going to be dropping the extra money on a Valve Index.
And there's the question of what exactly those people did. If all they bought were cheap cables from Amazon, then they were kind of asking for trouble. A lot of USB-C cables don't specify if they're USB 3.x capable or not in the headline and just assume USB-C = the best USB. For example, https://www.amazon.com/Charger-iPhone-Charging-MacBook-Samsung/dp/B0CNGN9FV9/ref=sr_1_10 doesn't mention it's USB 2.0 anywhere. It mentions it has a 480Mbps, proving it's USB 2.0, but people may not be specifically looking for that. In addition, the seller could just be outright lying. I bought a USB-C gizmo and the seller claimed it was USB 3.0, but I verified using a tool that it was USB 2.0.

And even then, the quality of the cable may not be the best.

There is no doubt about that. It's only natural, Meta is in the business to sell games. The issue is that the unit only holds a charge with no connection for about 45 mins if you are lucky. And if you don't have a USB-C connector, you're not not going to keep it charged for much longer because anything less doesn't put out the power. Anything lower than USB-C puts out about 4.5W and the headset needs 18 W.
If we're talking about the Quest 2, the most I've seen it draw is about 10W.

Meta in all their brilliance left no options for anyone on a slightly older computer.
If we're talking about today, then I don't know if I'd call computers around 6-7 years old "slightly older." USB-C ports that could deliver that kind of power existed around 2017.

Even addon cards like this only put out 10W if you're lucky
This card exists: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-1-Port-PCIe-Card-Add/dp/B08T6FCF9S/ref=sr_1_19_sspa . It provides 15W which is plenty for the Quest 3 according to one user review.

Well anyway, go buy a Valve Index or an HTC Vive or whatever.