Do you use : No Antivirus , FREE Antivirus , or PAID Antivirus and why?

Page 35 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deathcall666

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
When I just started using the PC I used antivirus
-2004 had bitdefender , worked good I quess but it was annoying because of its issues with Nero (not compatible when working together)
-kaspersky (cracked ) worked fine but crack expired
-nod32 eset (cracked ) worked fine but I was too lazy to crack it again , new PC with antivirus license
-2008 Norton & Norton Symantec's : the most annoying antivirus I cam e across. It had to update or scan right when I was in the midlle of the game (oblivion) and blocked/freezes my computer several times. I even had to reinstall windows because it couldn't uninstall it otherwise (or close the process , it would start again).
After this I said no more antivirus. Since 2009 I'm not using any antivirus and quess what? I'm not having issues. So no , no more antivirus , I'd rather reinstall windows than cracking/buying another antivirus that slows general performance and has moods.

jadinolf

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2014

Yes, it FINALLY works BUT it is NO antivirus program.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
No need for another layer of protection.

MALWAREBYTES 3.0: Now stronger and smarter Makes
Antivirus
Obsolete

Four layers of malware-crushing tech. Smarter detection. Specialized ransomware protection. It's the security you've been looking for.

Avast-Team

Commendable
Mar 3, 2017
Thanks for the support everybody, we appreciate it.

Popping in to say "hello" first and foremost :) Also, an update!

If you are using Avast currently, Free or a premium version, make sure to update to our new 2017 release. Goes way beyond "standard" AV or built-in protection, and adds our new Behavior Shield. Lots of information on our website and AV-comparatives for the curious, happy to answer any questions as I'm able to!

Moderator: if it's not OK to post links, let me know, but I did add one above to the article that explains our 2017 release.

Jason_247

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017
I use Avast Paid version and i feel it is very good. Simple, easy and very light to use it. :). Safe browsing option, VPN connection and quick virus scan.

zthomas

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

I changed myself to Kaspersky, Norton had let me down.. causing me a ton of grief..

Avast-Team

Commendable
Mar 3, 2017

Awesome, love to hear it. I do like how SecureLine is integrated and glad you're enjoying it. Being light on your system is one of our top priorities (see AV-comparatives results, if you don't want to take my word for it, ha!)

prinsb

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
I use Avira Free Antivirus without Real Time protection for years now, only to scan files.
In the 25 years I own PC's I never been infected by a virus or malware. So I don't have any need for Real-Time protection. It only works at the expense of performance.

Ben Harley

Reputable
Dec 21, 2016
I use paid protection program by Esset and I have been using it for like 4 months now and honestly its the best security tool for PCs and android phones. It protects you completely and for online transactions it offers secured browser. I have recently upgraded my pc to i7 7th gen and for that I had to use ESSET protection. I'd also recommend others to use it.

harrystam

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2015
I've used MBAM for a few years now and it has blocked countless threats when I visit ...facebook at 3am, with my Jergens out..... Anyway - I always use a proxy. I've never found AV to be useful except for rooting itself so deep into my registry I have burn it out. AV isn't needed unless you're totally reckless and downloading viruses. ...That's what i've discovered with AV.

That's my 2 cents about Privacy and security.

Thanks,
Harry

Maghpoush

Prominent
Apr 19, 2017
Hello there, My name is Maghpoush, I'm new here. Want to say hi.
I'm using Bitdefender Total security paid version since 2013. I'm using Antivirus for my PC security issue & I have 3 Bank accounts & I'm using online payment method. That's why I'm using BitDefender Antivirus.

jadinolf

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2014

I have 5 computers and use ESET products on all of them.
Wouldn't be without them.:)

EvilHamster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
I use free antivir, cause well,... its an antivirus and its... you know free.

I use Bitdefender. I used to use Avast, than they become a malware themselves and installed WITHOUT asking their browser on my PC. That's a big no-no. Especially from a software that is supposed to defend me from things like that. So I uninstalled it and went for the Bitdefender. Also a great product for normal internet use.

alexander_109

Prominent
May 17, 2017
I personally use Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2016, which is the cheapest paid antivirus they sell. I decided to go for a paid antivirus software due to the absolutely ridiculous marketing that AVG, Avira, and surprisingly Avast were throwing at me to buy their products. I did about 30 whole minutes of research and found that any form of paid Bitdefender was ALWAYS in the top three out of at least 10 to 25 different AV programs tested. I have had no issues with Bitdefender on Windows 10 Pro, and the added functionality of a paid software will always beat the basic functionality of free software. Do not use AVG because in the last year or two they have turned into adware, not antivirus software. Avast is pretty decent if you pay for it, but I found its UI to be relatively un-intuitive and sometimes overly complicated with a marginally high learning curve. Avira was really simple, but despite this it felt like it was too simple and that made it seem like it wasn't offering much protection. I want an antivirus software that has the ability to schedule scans, tells me exactly where issues are found, offers good encryption options, has good support, and is very fairly priced for the quality of protection you receive. Bitdefender is the only option, and I highly recommend its paid version. Unless you have extremely sensitive or classified materials on your computer, I suggest you just get the regular paid version. No issues in the past several months, and it catches everything.

ajack46

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017
After being hit with the recent wannacrry, I have got Kaspersky now. Hoping it keeps me safe now.

JoshRoss

Notable
Jul 11, 2017
As a Windows user, I am using Windows Defender by default. Additionally, I am running anti-malware in form of Malwarebytes Premium. So far no issues. Obviously common sense browsing and everything that comes with that is always applied!

zthomas

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

Windows defender is as basic as you can get.. we all have defender if there is a need.. I have used free to paid services.. couple of months ago I bought a years worth of kaspersky.. I was advised to change out each year.. I used norton for five years.. but for some reason they became all show.. and didn't look after this client..

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

Malwarebytes Premium is a full protection Suite now.

JoshRoss

Notable
Jul 11, 2017
Yeah, I am aware that it is a full suite. But I only use the free version for regular weekly or daily scans, depending on what I do on the internet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.