Do you want a Mac/OSX forum?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Do you want a Mac/OSX forum?

• Yes

Votes: 89 58.6%
  • No

Votes: 63 41.4%

• Total voters

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009

We actually don't have an Apple forum here... yet. This thread is discussing that topic now.
I think your game is an online flash game. I recommend posting your question on a forum at a portal site, such as Yahoo!, etc. preferable the site where you play the game.

Mekugi Ana

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009

I think it's a joke post... :ange:

Mekugi Ana

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
:sweat:

Let's get back on track.

I think a Mac section would actually help mitigate the number Mac specific hardware questions currently being asked in other areas of the forum, which in turn might lower the incidence of spontaneous flaming. Then, if someone goes flaming in the mac sections, it's because they're looking for a fight. I'm not sure how much power moderators have, but I'm guessing it'd be easier to watch the Mac section and snuff out rude behavior than watching the whole forum.

randomizer

Champion
Anything to make our job easier is welcome. I expect the Apple section would get more... attention... than the other sections, at least for a while to see how "intense" the debates get. It would be made quite clear that anyone posting there to start a PC vs Mac fight will find themselves unable to access that section again. Unfortunately such "censorship" will likely be required to maintain quality discussion, but there will be none of the stuff that happens on the official fanboy forums. None of the mods here have time to delete posts solely because we don't agree with them :)

randomizer

Champion
As an apple hater I would still welcome an apple forum. I was surprised there wasn't one given how much coverage it gets in the news...
FYI, what happens in the forum has nothing t do with the news and editorial staff. They maintain accounts in the forum but they have no more control over what happens here than you do.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Well, I post almost exclusively in the Motherboards/Memory HW forum and I've never seen a Mac post there.

Frankly, I wouldn't have any idea what to say if someone asked me about RAM for a Mac. About the only thing I know about em is some external hard drives say they will work on a Mac on the box! Yes, I'm your typical PC hardware person...

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
I wouldn't expect there to be many people asking questions regarding motherboards for Macs, and you can find out what RAM to buy for any pre-built computer with a basic web search. However, it is surprising to hear you've never encountered a question about components for building a hackintosh system. I run into the occasional hackintosh question through my job but typically recommend actual Apple brand computers for professional use due to stability and support.

Aside from building a system from the ground up to run a hacked version of OSX, I think a Mac forum would have more questions related to using third part hardware in an existing Apple computer. GPU cards, hard drives, solid state drives, networking cards, etc. There are lots of components out there that Apple doesn't officially support and the manufacturer doesn't print, "Mac OS Compatible," because they either didn't pay Apple or they don't want to worry about having to support it as those users update their system software. The first time I heard of someone installing a non-Apple product inside a Mac and having it work was when my old college roommate popped an Orinoco 802.11b into his new 450MHz G4 tower because it was half the price of Apple's "Airport" card. The OS didn't know the difference and his G4 joined our network.

A large part of my job is configuring computers (mostly Macs) for use by the entertainment industry. I just set-up a Mac Pro tower about a week ago with 2 nVidia 1.5GB Quadro FX 4800 graphics cards for 3D development across multiple monitors. http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_quadro_fx_4800_for_mac_us.html
Apple won't tell you nVidia makes cards with 1.5GB vRAM, but they do. They have at least two models that I know of that are Mac OSX friendly.

I would also expect some discussion about the Mac OS software itself: networking, security, remote access, drivers for third party hardware, video conferencing, etc.

Mongox, if you don't find yourself with an interest in Mac related discussion, you could always avoid the Mac forum area. You may however learn something new about them and discover there's a lot more in common between the platforms than you thought.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
As a side note, as of earlier today (Thursday / Windows 7 launch day) I'm now expected to do more work configuring Windows PC systems for professional video/audio work. Does anybody know of a hack to run Final Cut Studio on Windows 7? :)

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
wildwell, if you read the whole thread here, especially my immediate previous post (next to last on 1st page) you'll see I'm in favor of a Mac forum here, hardware and/or software.

But I won't be posting there simply because I have no knowledge to pass on and no experience in working with Macs. Although I sold the first Macs in 1984, after that I joined a small retailer for 10 years and then consulted with my own business since then, I simply don't see any Macs in business situations. Occasionally there might be one in a design dept or a stray exec might have a laptop, but it didn't concern me. The fact is, outside of certain very limited areas, business users don't use Macs at all. Their impact on the overall PC world of PC users is very, very limited.

So I'm no expert in them and wouldn't presume to give advice.

tanderskey

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009

@wildwell
i dont know of a "hack" per se but if you have a bunch of users who prefer it for video editing i bet you could get an X-Serve and load it up with a Final Cut Server and let Win users remote into it.

here's some overview from apple on how to configure that ...
http://www.apple.com/finalcutserver/features/configuration.html

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I voted yes, not because I own a Mac or because I want one... I just think it would be a nice thing for Mac people to have. That said do mods have the ability to move threads? So when the inevitable happens they can keep the Mac people from seeing posts like "GTFO this is a Windows Video card thread"

(On a side note perhaps they could post a sub section of News, so they could post all the little updates and tidbits leaving the front page for really interesting things)
Like that new software that lets you run OSX on any PC thats news I would want to see and really cool Mac related news!

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
I think this is a good idea. I get tired of reading all the PC fangeeks pathetic whines every time anyone even mentions Apple. :kaola:

An Apple section would allow Toms to cover one of the most influential forces in computing without causing half of their readers claim they suck every week.

Well, I wont be modding it, as Ive scarcely used Macs, helped some 2nd graders once in 1997 with some usage for a comp class, and I still had to be briefed by the teacher.
I think its a good idea, and it appears to be needed, and definately desired

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009

That's an interesting idea, tandersky. I could see it working but I wonder how much lag each Windows workstation would experience when working with larger HD files, hmmm... might not be an issue if each user has the source files locally. I want to try it out if I can get my hands on an X-Serve that doesn't belong to a client.

Look at that, the Apple forum at work. :)