[SOLVED] Docking Station Help (USB-C 3.2h

Apr 14, 2022
I’m trying to figure out if there is a docking station that will allow me to use the USB-C 3.2 port on my computer to the dock to an HDMI monitor (dual monitor if possible). I have tried to different (albeit cheaper) versions, but it won’t recognize the HDMI on the docking station.

For reference, it is a Dell G-15 Ryzen series laptop with only 4 USB-A ports, an HDMI, and a USB-C. Ideally, I’d like to simply connect the docking station to the USB-C port and have my monitor(a), keyboard/mouse, audio and power all ran through the dock.

Any suggestions are appreciated! (Or explanations as to why my current docks don’t work - they do with my work laptop though.)

Solution
The first thing to toss out is power over the dock. Your laptop cannot take power via the USB-C port. Audio will also be either from the display (over HDMI) or from the laptop itself. Docking stations/expansion devices almost never come with an audio output.

I use this device for my laptop: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Upgraded-Delivery-Pixelbook-A83460A2/dp/B07ZVKTP53/ , but it doesn't have the number of ports you want. However, given that the spec says it can only support HDMI up to 4K 30Hz, it's up in the air for me whether or not the adapter enables a DisplayPort mode that transmits HDMI passively, or the adapter is using a protocol that allows for video signals over USB.
The first thing to toss out is power over the dock. Your laptop cannot take power via the USB-C port. Audio will also be either from the display (over HDMI) or from the laptop itself. Docking stations/expansion devices almost never come with an audio output.

I use this device for my laptop: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Upgraded-Delivery-Pixelbook-A83460A2/dp/B07ZVKTP53/ , but it doesn't have the number of ports you want. However, given that the spec says it can only support HDMI up to 4K 30Hz, it's up in the air for me whether or not the adapter enables a DisplayPort mode that transmits HDMI passively, or the adapter is using a protocol that allows for video signals over USB.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS